PDA

View Full Version : Project Complete- Standing V Shelf Bookcase

Mike Heaney
10-20-2007, 6:49 PM
Attached are a few pics of my latest completed project. I took this one on in order to convince myself that I could still build something after getting completely frustrated with a part completed oak bookcase I have been working on for six months. I was losing my sanity with oak that twisted and cupped on me due to changing shop humidity and a very slow build. So, I walked away from the oak until the humidity drops in the winter, and decided to build this in the meantime.

The design comes from the "Bookcases" book by Niall Barrett (Taunton Press),and he credits the design to Peter Turner- so I credit them both! My version follows Niall's pretty closely, but uses highly figured maple for all parts. Main jointing mechanism for all pieces is via biscuit joining. I was originally going to use floating tenons, but decided it was going to be way to hard to position things consistently well, so followed Niall's plan with the biscuits. This required buying a biscuit joiner- so I got the Dewalt, which after a long set up time to get a good fit (and some filing on adjustment screws to get the threads to run true) works fine.

This is the first project where I have not used my table saw at all. All dimensional cuts were done with my Festool saw on the MFT table- Very smooth for rips and crosscuts on the figured maple, and easy to set up the tapered cuts using a long Festool straightedge.

I used a 1/2" radius roundover bit for all edges except the bottom shelf which was left square. This is the one area where I felt Niall's directions were a little off. He has you set the bit depth so that the guide bearing sits above 1/2 the thickness of the stock- I thought this was odd, and sure enough it comes out odd- the first side is fine, but when you flip the stock over, the bearing is not running on uncut board, but in trying to find the bit of stock you have just removed. As a result, you get a deeper cut on one side to the other. My solution was to dial the depth down a little and end up with a very narrow flat piece on the edge of the board that I then smoothed into the curve profile with sandpaper. Maybe one of you has some views on this- happy for any insight!

For those interested in dimensions- this case is about 27" high, about 10 3/4" wide at the bottom shelf and about 35" long. All components milled to 1/2" thick. Its going to sit between a couple of armchairs to supply storage space for magazines on the bottom shelf, big books on the lower V and small books on the top V. I did change the design a little to create a bigger gap than suggested between the two V shelfs- My wife has a lot of big text books she leaves lying around the chairs, so having somewhere convenient to drop the books currently in use should help.

Cutting the curves for the handles and whale tails was tough- I was using a coping saw and jig saw and struggled to keep them square all the time- and I think I need some of those little riffler files to tidy up curves like that in the future. Of course, a band saw would be nice too!!!

Glue up of the subcomponents was straightforward, using Titebond. For the final assembly, I had my first experience with long setting glues. My wife took one look at the contents of the Cyanoacrylate (sp?) type glues and banned them from the house! So, I had to find some hide glue instead. This worked ok with the following comments.
1. The set time was nice and long, so we could get our glue on all surfaces and biscuits and fuss with the clamps for as long as was needed.
2. I had used blue painter's tape to make clean up easier- unfortunately I left it on for 2 weeks, with the result that some of the tape had become glued into the joints- much careful chisel work resulted- must remember to remove tape promptly in the future!
3. One of the reasons for point 2 above was that the glue seemed to take forever to set (about 70 Farenheit in my basement)- glue was tacky for several days. This was not a problem as by now my MFT had become my glue-up station (perfect height for this project!), but did result in me leaving clamps on for much longer than I expected. Someone with more experience of hide glue may have some insight here- much appreciated.

Finish is Minwax Tung Oil blend (I believe it is a mix of Tung Oil and Varnish). Just a couple of coats flooded on then wiped down. Finish was then buffed by hand with wax to help the grain stand out a bit more. As usual, its hard to capture the grain in a quick set of pics, but hopefully you get the idea. As you can all imagine, the grain caused some interesting tear out issues- and resulted in a lot of work with my scrapers to even things out!

Comments and criticism appreciated as always.

Now I just need to get back into the right frame of mind to tackle the big bookcase with the multiple through tenons!

Jude Tuliszewski
10-20-2007, 8:25 PM
Nice job, and that maple is sweet.

Jim Becker
10-20-2007, 8:53 PM
Beautiful, Mike!! That project turned out great!

Jason Tuinstra
10-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Mike, I remember seeing that piece in Barrett's book. It certainly looks like you did it justice. Nice job.

Art Mulder
10-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Mike, I remember seeing that piece in Barrett's book. It certainly looks like you did it justice. Nice job.

Me too. In fact, just a month or two ago I was looking at that piece and wondering if I had enough boards in my "scrap" pile to make it.

Something very interesting to note about that book and bookshelf, though...
The bookshelf on the cover of the book is NOT the bookshelf that he builds inside the book.

Inside the book he uses (IMHO) rather plain 1/2" mahogany. The bookcase on the cover is lovely cherry, I think, and clearly has different dimensions -- the hole/handle at the top of the sides is quite different.

This rather bothered me, when I discovered it, as I find it muddies the article. If you build this shelf thinking you're getting the one on the cover, but you don't...

Mike Heaney
10-22-2007, 11:19 PM
thankyou for the kind comments!

Art- you are right, the book features two different pictures- the case on the cover is made by Peter Turner from Maine out of figured cherry, while the pic that accompanies the chapter in the book is made by the book's author- Niall Barrett, from mahogany- he comments that he had some 6/4 mahogany stock that he split and bookmatched for the pieces. He makes the comment that materials aside, his plans are essentially a match to Turner's. Looking at both pictures again, I have to agree with him- I don't see much between them from a design point of view, apart from the obvious difference in the two woods. Since I went for figured maple, it changes again (although as I noted before, I did alter the shelf positions, so mine differs even more!). The handle cut outs may be a little less deep in the front cover, but I think that one is a matter of taste/preference in any case. I happened to model my cutouts on the circumference of my protractor, since it fit my hand nicely- I'm sure this type of variation/personalisation happens all the time!

For what it's worth, I have found the book to be pretty good- clear and concise in most of the projects.

happy sawdust making

Mike:)

frank shic
10-23-2007, 1:07 AM
great book, great job, mike! are you going to build the arts and craft bookcase next? ;)

Mike Heaney
10-24-2007, 2:09 PM
Frank,

actually, the multiple through tenon bookcase in pieces has some of the features- but I lean toward more Charles Rennie Mackintosh inspirations for similar type looks (must be my Scottish roots!)

M

Ken Werner
10-24-2007, 2:15 PM
Very nice work Mike.

On the subject of how-to books, I used the book by Kim Carleton Graves called Dining Tables to make one, and discovered on the way that the plans I had in the book were not exactly the same as the photo on the cover. I ended up writing to both the author and the designer. Graves told me that it is SOP that the project underway and illustrated is not the one shown in final photos....go figure.

Anyway, not to hijack your glory here - Mike - again my compliments.

Ken

Donnie Folangelo
10-24-2007, 2:17 PM
Outstanding!