PDA

View Full Version : The best laid plans of mice and men....

Wolf Kiessling
02-07-2004, 2:34 PM
I think we are all familiar with, and have experienced, that old chestnut. But in this case, as in so many others, it ain’t necessarily bad. In fact, here it turned out to be great. (I think. Durn, there I go hurting myself again)

Last spring, early summer, something like that, I decided to cut some bowl blanks. Among them was this nice size, about 11” x 6.5”, blank of “catalpa”. Anyhow, some of these were put in plastic bags and then put on the shelf. Last week I decided that this “catalpa” blank would make a nice, carved (probably fluted) bowl. I put it on the lathe and it seemed very heavy. However, I didn’t give it much thought and started roughing it out. Since I was going to flute it, I thought I’d give it a nice upper rim and a balloon shape. As I was roughing it out, all the time trying to hold the lathe in place at the same time, I thought that it was pretty hard. Also, I didn’t notice the vinegary smell I usually associate with catalpa. I stopped the lathe to look at the piece and noticed some really deep cracks and a lot of worm holes. Since the cracks were so deep, I filled them with turquoise enhanced epoxy but left the worm holes alone as they were still filled with sawdust. I didn’t want to take a chance on blowing this bowl up with a monster catch. I was going to finish shaping the outside of the bowl before making a final decision to carve it. I felt I could still carve the bowl by just working though the filled cracks. Whatever worm holes remained could be filled prior to carving if they were going to be filled at all.

In any event, I finished shaping the bowl and noticed that it was turning much, much smoother than a piece of catalpa would. I took a closer look at it, notice again how very hard this wood was and came to the realization that it wasn’t catalpa at all but what I determined to be a chunk of curly maple. I’M HOPING THAT SOME OF YOU WOOD GURUS CAN CONFIRM THAT FOR ME OR, IF I AM WRONG, TO SET ME STRAIGHT. At this point I decided that no way I was going to carve this. It didn’t occur to me, at this time, to change the shape so now it is still where it was when I was going to carve the bowl. Had I given it more timely thought I would have put the down curve at a higher point and given it a smaller foot. But, I didn’t, but I am still fairly pleased with the shape.

The final result is a diameter of 10” by 6” high. It is sanded to 600 grit and finished with 6 coats of natural danish oil applied while spinning on the lathe.

If you want to blast me on the shape, I don't care. Go ahead, I can take it and you won't hurt my feelings. Like I mentioned above, I wish I had put a smaller foot on it.

Wolf

Dave Arbuckle
02-07-2004, 2:44 PM
Looks a lot like Bigleaf Maple from here Wolf. Can't blast you at all on the shape, because I really like that shape.

Dave

Wolf Kiessling
02-07-2004, 3:22 PM
Looks a lot like Bigleaf Maple from here Wolf. Can't blast you at all on the shape, because I really like that shape.

Dave

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Dave, but I don't think that it could be Bigleaf maple because I have been told that grows ONLY in the Pacific Northwest. I think this chunk of wood came out of the Marlow, OK, firewood pile after the 2000 ice storm that knocked down so many trees here. If not from there, it's from Bridgeport, TX.

Wolf

Bud Duffy
02-07-2004, 3:34 PM
Whatever kind of maple it is its sure pretty from here and the shape dosnt hurt my eyes either actually i kinda like it Wolf. Good job!!!

John Miliunas
02-07-2004, 3:44 PM
Big, small or anywhere in between, I personally don't give a hoot what size leaves it had! :D One thing I know, it *ain't Catalpa! As you say, you'd have been able to tell right away from the "aroma" (yucko!) and Catalpa is anything BUT hard! I too believe it is some flavor of Maple and an absolutely gorgeous hunk of it, at that! Plus, if for *whatever* reason you don't like the shape of the bowl, I'll drop you my mailing address post-haste and take it off your hands! Heck, I'd even kick in for the S/H! :D I think the shape enhances the figuring and gives it an extremely deep look to it. I still have lots of practicing to do to catch up to stuff like that! I've got a heckuva' time trying to keep a nice smooth and continuous "roundness" going from the rim to the foot of the bowl. Hey, now that I think about it, that there bowl would be a great "sample" for me to follow! :D Very nice, Wolf. Very nice, indeed! Thanks for posting it. :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2004, 6:42 PM
Wolf, carving and turning.....you are talented!

Bob Lasley
02-07-2004, 6:52 PM
Wolf,

I don't think I've ever seen any Big Leaf Maples around Marlow either, but whatever that gorgeous hunk of wood is I like it...........alot!! I like the form too............alot!! That is one happy accident.

Bob

Terry Hatfield
02-07-2004, 7:00 PM
Wolf,

Species???? Don't know...don't care. :D

It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the shape too. I say you have a fantastic bowl on your hands now, no matter what wood it is.

Terry

Dave Arbuckle
02-08-2004, 1:32 AM
I think this chunk of wood came out of the Marlow, OK, firewood pile after the 2000 ice storm that knocked down so many trees here. If not from there, it's from Bridgeport, TX.

Yeah, if it's from Marlow or Bridgeport, I don't guess it would be Bigleaf Maple... Maybe Dave Smith dropped it on one of his travels, huh? ;)

Dave

Terry Quiram
02-08-2004, 6:44 AM
Wolf

It definately is not Catalpa! That stuff stinks so damn bad there is no way you could mistake it for something else.

Terry

Tyler Howell
02-08-2004, 7:05 AM
Wolf Man.

Tre Bien!:cool:

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 8:48 AM
I think the shape is great, Wolf. The thicker rim is interesting as you don't see it that much on this kind of vessel. If you still want to "decorate" it, you could do some texturing on the rim. A good friend of mine does that on many of her bowls and that includes a ton of maple.

As to the species, most of the Maple I've run into (and I do think you are right about that being Maple) can exhibit such nice figure, especially if the chunk came from near the bottom of the tree or near a crotch where there were a lot of stresses applied.

Wolf Kiessling
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
[
Thanks to all of you who responded so kindly.

Okay, I believe I have enough confirmation that the wood for this bowl is some type of maple and I will mark it as such. The specific type is immaterial anyhow.

I'm not gonna decorate the rim, Jim. I was going to chatter it when I had plans on carving this bowl but, as I mentioned, I forgot to change the shape when I made the decision not to carve it. Normally, I would not shape an uncarved bowl in this particular manner but I'm happy with the result anyhow.

Now, just a general observation. If I am wrong, I would appreciate correction. I believe there are several types of maple, family Acer (?). Also, there are some types of commonly recognized figure in maple wood such as bird's eye, quilted, curly and tiger stripe. I think the type of figure in the wood has absolutely nothing to do with the specific type of maple the tree is; any wood from any type maple could have any of the aforementioned figure. Is that correct? I THINK that if I saw some quilted and curly maple side by side I could tell which is which. Now, a question: is the wood in this bowl considered curly maple? Is it possible to tell from the less than professional photo?

Wolf

John Miliunas
02-08-2004, 3:04 PM
Well, FWIW and I'm no expert, but it certainly is NOT Birdseye and it doesn't look like it's Quilted, either. I'd have to say either, Curly or Striped, leaning towards the latter. :cool: