PDA

View Full Version : What position when transporting saw ? upside down?

Dave Cohen
10-20-2007, 5:23 PM
I am going to purchase and pick up a 3HP Cabinet saw tomorrow using a uhaul trailer. I think the cabinet part without rails weighs about 400+ pounds.
With all that weight on the top (motor, cast iron tables etc.) would it be better to put it in the trailer upside down (to avoid tipping) or would this subect the motor and trunions to too much road shock? This is a heavy machine with the heavier trunion type.
Thanks

Robert Conner
10-20-2007, 5:33 PM
You could easily remove the Table, just be sure to note position of shims if any. would also block the motor with some wood so the weight is not on the mounting bracket. A new Unisaw comes with a large piece of foam inside for that purpose. With that done you could lay it down just make sure you pad the bottom of the trailer so you don't scratch the cabinet. That is how I transported my Unisaw.
Robert

Dave Cohen
10-20-2007, 5:41 PM
so not upside down, just lay on its side? (in other words tip it 90 degrees, not 180)?

thanks

Tim Morton
10-20-2007, 5:44 PM
My vote would be to go upright and jam some foam padding inside to support the trunions. Removing the motor might be an option too...I would remove the rails but leave the table in tack.

Jamie Buxton
10-20-2007, 5:45 PM
I'd transport it upright, just like it sits in your shop. I'd use ropes to tie it to the sides of the trailer, and prevent it from tipping. That's how motorcycles are moved around, and they're considerably tippier than the saw.

Jim McCarty
10-20-2007, 5:48 PM
I transported mine upside down in the back of my pickup. I can't remember if I blocked the motor or not (it was almost 20 years ago that I last moved it).

Robert Conner
10-20-2007, 6:13 PM
I would tip it 90 degrees make sure there are no projections, if so just lay a couple of 2x4s to even it out. My Uni had an electric box on the back so I placed a 4x4 above it and rested it on that sort of tilted. You don't have to remove the table, but make sure there are no extensions or rails on it.
Robert

Dick Brown
10-20-2007, 6:53 PM
My Shop Fox came upright and was bolted to a pallet. Would think it came that way from Tiawan. Have read posts about guys taking there cabinet saws off of the pallet when they get them so sounds like others ship the same way. Don't remember of any blocking or braces in it. If you have a tool store nearby, call them and ask how the new ones are shipped. Get it from the horses mouth so to speak.
Dick

Dave MacArthur
10-20-2007, 8:01 PM
What Jamie said. Upright, on a Uhaul motorcycle trailer, use tiedowns to strap it and it won't budge. I moved my PM66 this way, it is a non-issue. I used a small mobile shop crane to lift it on/off the trailer, making it a 1-man job.

Jim Becker
10-20-2007, 8:50 PM
Upright and properly tied down with ratchet straps, etc.

Jason Beam
10-20-2007, 9:28 PM
Upright, lash it to the side ... don't overengineer :)