PDA

View Full Version : Double sided tape glue removal

Jim Young
10-20-2007, 3:22 PM
In a project where I had two pieces taped together so I could make the parts the same, I now have tape glue on them after seperating them from the tape. How do I get the glue off? I already tried mineral spirits but it didn't work. Not sure if using kerosene will work nor if it will somehow affect the finish. The parts are made of walnut, if that matters.

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 3:27 PM
Ain't that a pain in the neck. (or a bit lower)? How about acetone or maybe denatured alcohol? They do have a product that remove stickers and glue. I think it is something like goo be gone?:)
Gary

Dan Forman
10-20-2007, 3:40 PM
Naptha (lighter fluid) should work. Sometimes you can take another piece of the tape and use it to pick up the recalcitrant gunk.

Dan

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 3:55 PM
"racalcitrant gunk". :D There's always one in the crowd. :rolleyes: If your going to use a fancy word...at least spell it right. RECALCITRANT;) :p
Gary

Larry Conely
10-20-2007, 7:32 PM
Bestine, also known as rubber cement thinner. Available at art stores. I keep it on hand for a number of reasons. It cuts many types of glue, but is safe for most surfaces, including auto paint and every wood finish I can think of. Flammable, but evaporates almost instantly.

Larry

Phil Thien
10-20-2007, 7:38 PM
Lacquer thinner.

Jon Lanier
10-20-2007, 7:46 PM
I deal with that all the time with scrolling. You may need to use a heavy dose of thinner several times. Then, with a light touch use a orbital sander 220 grit. Repeat with thinner and sander if not all removed.

Dan Forman
10-20-2007, 7:54 PM
"racalcitrant gunk". :D There's always one in the crowd. :rolleyes: If your going to use a fancy word...at least spell it right. RECALCITRANT;) :p
Gary

Don't know how that "a" got in there, probably some vast right wing canspiracy! :D That's what I get for not proof reading.

Dan

Keith Cope
10-20-2007, 7:55 PM
The readily available product is GooGone--I think it's citrus oil based and will probably not play nice with the finish. Might be worth a test on a scrap piece, though.

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 8:46 PM
Don't know how that "a" got in there, probably some vast right wing canspiracy! :D That's what I get for not proof reading.

Dan LOL OK DILLARY:eek: :p
GK

Don Hein
10-20-2007, 9:06 PM
Call the manufacturer of the tape for advice. Try warming the residue with a hair dryer set on low, then when the goo is soft use a freshly dressed scraper. Good luck.

Don Hein
10-20-2007, 9:10 PM
Also, if gentle warming doesn't help, you might try putting the items in the freezer for a few hours; I've heard of chewing gum being removed that way.

Curt Harms
10-20-2007, 9:24 PM
I just did the stick-two-pieces together and cut 'em trick. I used turners tape rather than carpet tape. The stuff ain't cheap, $15.99/roll or so but it holds VERY well in shear pretty good tensile strength but will come off the stock with no residue. I get mine at Woodcraft years ago.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=390

HTH

Curt

Jim Young
10-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Lots of chemicals mentioned in this thread. I'll try a scraper first, then if that doesn't work I'll go out and buy some naptha (been wanting some for the turnings anyway). Thanks for the ideas.

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Naptha (lighter fluid) should work. Sometimes you can take another piece of the tape and use it to pick up the recalcitrant gunk. At 10:57 at nite, too!!!

Dan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/Laughdog.gif I knew you would go back and spell it right!!!:D
Gary