PDA

View Full Version : Shop Wall Cleats - Pre-test

glenn bradley
10-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I plan to have wall cleats running along some walls in the shop for versatility. Time being what it is, my sub-panel and wallboard efforts are getting pretty drawn out. I finally felt like I had to do something besides tear out drywall or run wire.

I plan on a least a couple pegboard panels here and there. This one let me at least make a little sawdust and get an idea of what I might like to do. I keep a lot of tools located near where I use them most. There are a few things that I like to keep handy and centralized because I seem to reach for them for most general things.

I just used some scrap ply for the test cleat and spacer.

[/URL]73804

Same scrap for this short cleat. The permanent cleats will run for some length along the wall and at different heights a-la Wood Magazine's 'Idea Shop 5' (http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13688&d=1192896505). And yes, I will put up the wallboard and patch the holes . . . I'm getting to it . . . really.

And here's the general idea. Panels, swing arm lamps, clamp racks, wall cabinets etc. will be movable as life goes on.

[URL="http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13687&d=1192896386"] (http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13686&d=1192896386)73806

A lot of blah, blah for just a little thing but I need some kind of milestone to make me feel like I'm making progress and besides . . . we love pictures!

Jim Becker
10-20-2007, 9:11 PM
If I were building my shop today (and actually had wall space...) I'd be going with the cleat system, too. It's really versatile and adaptive over time.

SCOTT ANDREWS
10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Glenn
In the middle picture showing the cleat,just for grins,why is the drywall stepped out from the studs.Just curious.

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I have the cleat system in my basement...It's great...I can rearrange my cabinets and other stuff anytime and real quick. People are impressed with the simplicity when they see it.;)
Gary

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Glenn
In the middle picture showing the cleat,just for grins,why is the drywall stepped out from the studs.Just curious.

I unfortunately have become intimately familiar with that little area. It is the soffit(?) that carries all the power, T.V. and phone lines from the entrance point/main panel area into the house. Different, eh?

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I have the cleat system in my basement...It's great...I can rearrange my cabinets and other stuff anytime and real quick. People are impressed with the simplicity when they see it.;)
Gary

Thanks Gary. Glad to hear form someone who uses this method. Do you run multiple cleats at different heights to support various fixtures? Were they worth it or is one run along the top area of the wall enough? I'm thinking about at least to different heights near the top and one about 3 feet from the floor.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Glenn....I like that system and that's what I'm going to use in the upcoming months in my shop!

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Gary. Glad to hear form someone who uses this method. Do you run multiple cleats at different heights to support various fixtures? Were they worth it or is one run along the top area of the wall enough? I'm thinking about at least to different heights near the top and one about 3 feet from the floor.
Glenn....I run two cleats parallel with each other. One cleat at about 62" on center and the other aapproximately 80" on center. I found these dimensions ina mag. It works out great because when I hang a cabinet on the top cleat ...the cab will rest against the bottom cleat.
Plus I hang stuff individually on the bottom cleat. You will be surprised on what you can put a cleat on. I have a station for my cordless drill, bins, etc.
I ran a set of cleats on my whole short wall and a set on my long wall about 2/3rds. It is great because if I want to move a cabinet, all I have to do is lift it up and move it. Sometimes I just slide them side to side.
Another benefit is that when and if we move...the whole system come with me!!!!:D :D
Gary

Dave MacArthur
10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Can you describe a bit more what this "cleat system" is? From your posts, I'm thinking it is a french cleat run outside the drywall, around the whole shop, for hanging cabinets and boards on later? Quite a few folks above seem to know exactly what you mean, and have said they like this system...I've got some wall-space re-design coming when I build a new bench, and it sounds like I should know a bit more ;) Thanks!

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Dave ...If you mean me....I will post after the Patriots game or half-time....Opssss Kick-off.......BYE:D
Gary

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 3:18 PM
Can you describe a bit more what this "cleat system" is? From your posts, I'm thinking it is a french cleat run outside the drywall, around the whole shop, for hanging cabinets and boards on later? Quite a few folks above seem to know exactly what you mean, and have said they like this system...I've got some wall-space re-design coming when I build a new bench, and it sounds like I should know a bit more ;) Thanks!
All ya got to do is rip a bunch of 3/4" stock to around 3" wide. I used some red oak I had a bunch of hanging around but I have heard of guys using quality plywood, too.
After your done ripping, tilt your table saw blade to 45º and send them all through again on one side only. Attatch some long ones on the wall with the 45º bevel on top. Cut abunch of short ones to the width of your cabinets and attatch to the back with the 45º on the bottom to match the one on the wall. Hang in place.
Gary

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 3:31 PM
Can you describe a bit more what this "cleat system" is?

Check this link (http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/462.xml&catref=wd8)from the OP.

Dave MacArthur
10-21-2007, 8:46 PM
thx guys! Missed the link up there cuz it was in black heh. Good idea for future flexibility!

Rod Sheridan
10-22-2007, 8:23 AM

Yes Dave, it's a French cleat.

Very useful system, I have installed French cleats in my shop and they're very useful for hanging cabinets, peg board etc.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
11-25-2007, 1:07 AM
OK, I've beat this horse enough. Here's the re-built wall; painted, sub-panel, cleats (adding one more lower down tomorrow), etc. Blade / ZCI holder is back up, DC is in position, BS has a home AND power, one pegboard organizer is up.

If I put out a little more effort tomorrow the part of the shop you can't see may just get cleaned up enough to use again ;-) The pic really shows the difference with a light on and a light off and the resulting reflection of the now semi-gloss white walls.

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 9:48 AM
Glenn, that looks like good progress to me. Remember every little step adds up to the end result of a shop of your own.;):D

Glenn

...It is the soffit(?) that carries all the power, T.V. and phone lines from the entrance point/main panel area into the house. Different, eh?

Actually it's not as different as you may suspect. I have one just like it in my garage. The builder who built my house put them in thousands of homes here. Maybe it's a Southern California building technique or perhaps we have the same builder.

Gary Keedwell
11-25-2007, 10:10 AM
OK, I've beat this horse enough. Here's the re-built wall; painted, sub-panel, cleats (adding one more lower down tomorrow), etc. Blade / ZCI holder is back up, DC is in position, BS has a home AND power, one pegboard organizer is up.

If I put out a little more effort tomorrow the part of the shop you can't see may just get cleaned up enough to use again ;-) The pic really shows the difference with a light on and a light off and the resulting reflection of the now semi-gloss white walls.
Hey...looking good. Are you going to hang some cabinets? What I did to get me started...I bought some inexpensive white cabinets at the Borg, installed cleats on the back and hung them until I made my own. That was over 2 years ago and they are still up there.:D
Gary

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello,
I'm using cleats, but of a different variety than the french cleat.

The wall part is a 2" wide piece of 1/2 plywood stapled & glued to a 3" wide piece of 3/4" plywood.
The fixture part is the reverse.

There some pictures in this thread that show the cleats:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52541
Here they are being used on the mobile shop cart.

I have a few on the walls, but sorry, no pictures of them right now.

I got the idea from one of the WW'ing magazines ~ a year ago.
The plywood cleat system duplicates (IIRC) a commercial version of the same system which uses Aluminum.

I make up a bunch of the two parts in 4' lengths and keep them on-hand.
When I need a "hanger" for the back of a fixture, I just cut it to size on the CMS.

Whichever style used, cleats are very versitle.

glenn bradley
11-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey...looking good. Are you going to hang some cabinets? What I did to get me started...I bought some inexpensive white cabinets at the Borg, installed cleats on the back and hung them until I made my own. That was over 2 years ago and they are still up there.:D
Gary

All the stuff that used to be on the wall will go back up. It is currently piled in my way in front of the opposite wall. I really should have said that so folks don't think I have that much free wall space and get envious ;) It just happens to be 'currently' empty :D

Jerry Olexa
11-25-2007, 3:39 PM
Glenn: Like your idea and from the picture, looks like you're moving right along.. You'll be pleased when its all installed, etc Nice job