PDA

View Full Version : PC Pin Nailer PIN100

Ken Shoemaker
10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
This morning I went to the HD (yes I'm ashamed) but needed to get some glue. I noticed the PC Pin Nailer for $99.00. Wanting one for some time I picked it up and headed for the checkout. I went to the checkout and the girl said if I'd open an HD credit card I could get a $25.00 refund. Then she said, once I use the card for one purchase, they would send me a $25.00 HD gift card. It looks like I got the nailer for $49.00 when all said and done.

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!! WARNING!!!!! WARNING!!!!

The card is a MasterCard with 18% interest!!! I am going to use it one for the $25.00 gift card and cancel it.....

Michael Fross
10-20-2007, 4:42 PM
I'd love to hear what you think of it. I've had my eye on it for a bit and ever review I read says it's great.

My thoughts are to use it during tricky glue-ups. Are the pin holes really that small?

Thanks,

Michael

Ken Shoemaker
10-20-2007, 5:35 PM
Michael,

I started a project and used it for the glue-ups as well. I was quite suprised at the holding power of 23ga, 3/4" pins (2000 come with it in the case). I also bought a pack of 1" but haven't used them yet.

The size of the pins are half the size of those my wife uses for sewing. I'm not sure you'd need to fill the holes if you were using it with an open pore wood such as oak. Fact is, i'm not sure you could find them again once you looked away and back.

It appears quite well made, on par with the quality and durability we've come to expect from Porter-Cable tools.

One thing that I don't have enough experience with is this; The point, or business end is kind of sharp or pointed in it's design. At first I was using it like my finish nailer which requires you to exert pressure on the tip to release the trigger. The PIN100 has the release in the handle. If you exert to much pressure you WILL dimple the wood at the point of entry. In the end, I was getting used to it and could easily shoot the pins with virtualy invisable results.

Nice tool + great price + very useful around MY shop = :)

Good Luck!! Ken

Steve Clardy
10-20-2007, 8:11 PM
Mines 4-5 years old now.
Works flawless

Chris Barnett
10-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Those nice freebies with new credit plastic makes some credit ratings take nose dive, and subsequent higher interest rates, FWIW.

Rick Hubbard
10-21-2007, 6:53 AM
I bit the bullet and bought one of these too, yesterday. I am impressed. My main concern was whether or not the pins would be pushed below the surface or remain flush. They DO go just below the surface. $99 "ain't bad" compared to the price of some of the higher end nailers.

Rick

Marty Barron
10-22-2007, 9:29 AM
Could someone provide me with the HD product number for the nailer or a link so that I could go online to print off the price and use it to get the same price in Canada I have searched in the nailers section of the HD website and the PIN100 is not listed. The price I have been quoted is $172.50 Cdn or $176.06 US. If I lived close to a border I would have already have the nailer.

The difference in prices on both sides of the border is out to lunch.

Thanks
Marty

Stan Smith
10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a pc brad nailer which I use a lot for glue ups. Does the pin nailer work for gluing 2 3/4" pieces together? Thanks.

Steve Prill
10-22-2007, 3:10 PM
Ok, your deal may get even better! Porter Cable has a $15 rebate on the PIN100. I saw the rebate on Amazon. Try this link: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/00/72/50/28/72502801._V7591135_.pdf
If the link doesn't work, just look up the PIN100 on Amazon and you'll see the rebate link. The rebate applies to purchases from "authorized Porter-Cable channels and retailers."

Enjoy,
Steve

Marty Barron
10-23-2007, 6:02 PM
Steve, unfortunately Amazon does not sell tools to Canada and that rebate is only for the US.

Marty

Stan Smith
10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Ok, your deal may get even better! Porter Cable has a $15 rebate on the PIN100. I saw the rebate on Amazon. Try this link: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/00/72/50/28/72502801._V7591135_.pdf
If the link doesn't work, just look up the PIN100 on Amazon and you'll see the rebate link. The rebate applies to purchases from "authorized Porter-Cable channels and retailers."

Enjoy,
Steve

Thanks, Mr. Steve. I just ordered one and the net cost on Amazon is around $96 w/free shipping. I did a Froogle search and some places are over $170. Although I have a pc brad nailer, I can see the benefits of those very small holes. Not sure about using it on two 3/4" pieces (my que. above), but maybe it will help to keep stuff from slipping around. I'm just now starting to build a murphy bed and this will be great for the molding.

Stan

Bob Levy
10-24-2007, 6:44 AM
Here's another choice you might want to consider. http://www.toolmarts.com/air_locker_p630.html. I've had one for several years and have had no problems so far.