PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 us this a good price

Shane Sura
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
There is a person currently selling, what he claims is, a brand new never used Dewalt 735 planer along with the Dewalt Stand and Feed tables for $550 (might be able to get him down to 5 even). Is this a good price? Seems expensive to me as the stand means nothing to me and you can get a Refurb from Tool King for $399.

Shane

Dave Sweeney
10-20-2007, 11:28 AM
That is a very good price for all that is included. By the time you add the cost of the infeed/outfeed tables to the $399 refurb. price you'll be around $450, plus shipping & taxes, if you go that route. I have that stand and although it's not a necessity it sure makes moving the planer around the shop a breeze.

Art Mann
10-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I think your assessment is correct. Unlike the reurb unit, you would not have a warranty. I'm sure the 735 is a good planer, but I have seen quite a few posts describing early drive mechanism failures. I wouldn't want to take a chance for such a little (if any) discount over new equipment.

Dave MacArthur
10-20-2007, 2:24 PM
Poor price. I've bought two year old 735's in perfect condition off craig's list, one for $150 and one for $400, with infeed/outfeed tables, AND both with well-built shop carts with lockable casters.

I sold one for $250--wish it had been to you!
As Art says, I would NOT buy one used without much more significant savings, which are pretty easily had. Plus the thing would be easy /cheap to ship if you found it elsewhere.

glenn bradley
10-20-2007, 2:34 PM
Dad got one new with the tables and an extra set of knives for about $400 at the woodworking show. He's basically asking new price with free tables and stand. DeWalt does this several times a year anyway. JMHO.

Mike Henderson
10-20-2007, 3:30 PM
If it really is "brand new - in box - not refurbished" that might not be a bad price, especially if you can get it for $500. You'll get the new warrantee.

But I'd ask to see his invoice from when he bought it to see what he paid and when. Some people try to pass of a refurbished unit as "brand new".

Mike

Gary Keedwell
10-20-2007, 3:47 PM
I'm on the same side of the fence as Glenn. Wait and get it on sale then you deal with a store or manufacturer. Buying new at new price with a private party just doesn't seem kosher to me. IMNSHO;)
Gary

Art Mann
10-20-2007, 5:54 PM
If it really is "brand new - in box - not refurbished" that might not be a bad price, especially if you can get it for $500. You'll get the new warrantee.

But I'd ask to see his invoice from when he bought it to see what he paid and when. Some people try to pass of a refurbished unit as "brand new".

Mike

Normally, warranties are only valid for the original buyer and are not transferrable. Of course, Dewalt might do it differently . . . but i doubt it.

Shane Sura
10-20-2007, 6:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I did contact the person and he could not even accurately tell me when it was purchased (not even sure on how many years ago). Needless to say I am getting a bad vibe and am going to wave off at this point unless I see a huge price drop. I am so envious of all of you that seem to find these incredible deals. I just cannot seem to find them in my area though I watch Craigslist daily. I will probably end up with a purchase from Tool King as their refurb is 399 and shipping is $7.50

Shane

Dave MacArthur
10-20-2007, 7:43 PM
Shane,
I recommend you post your location in your profile; I personally use it when I see folks like you post for a tool... I hate to admit it, but I enjoy searching for tools online, even if it's not for me lol... Generally when someone posts, if I see their city, I look around.

For instance... right now, in Phoenix, there is a 1996 PM66 Tablesaw with 52" extension, biesmeyer, 3HP, for $980; also a PM60 8" planer for $800. Both of them I'd say could be had for $100 or more less due to the length of their availability. I've actually scanned here a few times looking for anyone searching for such items, to see if someone is close to Phoenix to PM them. You know, I WANT to buy the things myself, but already HAVE my own heh...
Good luck ;)

Greg Pavlov
10-20-2007, 8:47 PM
I'm on the same side of the fence as Glenn. Wait and get it on sale then you deal with a store or manufacturer. Buying new at new price with a private party just doesn't seem kosher to me. IMNSHO;)
Gary
I agree re the price, but there may be all sorts of reasons why someone may want to sell one that they never used. Like me, for instance: I bought one about 20 months ago, it's been sitting in my garage (two garages, actually, since we recently moved....) ever since, in the original box, unopened, and I've come to the conclusion - shoulda reached it a year ago - that I'm just not going to use it and should just sell it.

Brandon Shew
10-20-2007, 9:01 PM
I have seen that one on the Norfolk, VA Craigslist - is it the same one? If so, he's been trying to sell if for a while, but when I talked to him he wouldn't budge on the $550 price. It can be had new for that amount (granted w/o the tables and stand). IMO $450 is where that should price out.

I was looking for a planer locally and had considered that one, but I stumbled on a Woodmaster 12" for $175 and couldn't pass it up. I'd keep waiting for the price to come down or keep looking.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Tools Plus has the 735 for $495 brand new and $6.50 shipping. I got one a year ago from Tools Plus with a rebate deal from Dewalt. Buy this planer new to avoid the problems with the earlier serial numbers. The one I bought works great.

Tyler Boleyn
10-21-2007, 7:14 PM
I think I would hold off on a refurbished planer.

Shane Sura
10-21-2007, 9:42 PM
So am I reading you right and hearing that you do not suggest a Refurbished Dewalt purchase from Toolking? I did not think there would be a problem when it comes with a warranty.

Shane

Brad Townsend
10-22-2007, 9:00 AM
To my mind, the real question is whether that price for a 735, new or used, is a good deal when you can get a full sized, induction motor, heavy iron one for $200-300 more. I have a 735 myself and, while I like it very much, if I had it to do over again..... Of course, if shop space is a consideration, that's something else again.

Keith Beck
10-22-2007, 9:56 AM
Shane,

You don't list where you're at, but it sounds like you're talking about the DW735 that a guy in Smithfield, VA is selling. If it is the same one, I've seen it in person and it does look unused. He is also selling a Jet bandsaw that's not been used.

I bought the JDS-750 air filtration system off of him for $200 (currently over $300 on Amazon). It too looked barely used. He originally wanted $225, I offered $200 and at first he was adamant that he would take nothing less than $225. I heard back from him about a week and half later asking if I still wanted it for $200.

My understanding of his situation is that he's currently in the Air Force and he's transferring to the Army and will be deployed and moving a lot, so he's not going to have time to do much woodworking and he doesn't want to keep moving the equipment.

I'd say make him a reasonable offer and if he declines, tell him if he changes his mind, to give you a call. BTW, when I bought my DW735, I got it on sale for $500, which included a coupon for the in-feed/out-feed tables. The stand is selling for $180 at Woodcraft. So, if the planer has indeed never been used, $550 for it, the tables and the stand isn't an overly outrageous price, but like I said, make him an offer and then try waiting him out.

Keith