PDA

View Full Version : Baby Furniture Finally Finished!

Greg Cuetara
10-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Well as the title says I finally finished the Baby furniture I had planned on building. My wife is due in three weeks so just a little time to spare...hopefully.

I built the glider-rocker from rockler plans out of beech with a clear stain and a poly finish. Not sure that I am too happy with rocker guides yet but I am hoping that they break in with use. They are plastic on metal and are sticking quite a bit right now. I tried to use some silicone spray but that hasn't helped too much.

The Crib is cherry with a coat of shellac and then 6 wiped on coats of waterlox. I hope that is enough. I had a bear of a time with the slats on my router table. The pattern bit didn't quite like me. After reading some good advice here on SMC I made some changes to the way I was using the pattern bit and it helped a little bit.

The Changing Table is also cherry with a coat of shellac and 4 wiped on coats of waterlox. The drawers are hard maple with 1/2" plywood bottom. I am not too great at joints yet so I kept the joints for the drawers simple.

I do appreciate any comments y'all have but please be easy on me. These are my first big pieces and I have certainlly learned a lot but know I have a lot to learn. This is a great community with some great woodworkers.

Thanks for looking.
Greg

frank shic
10-20-2007, 12:40 AM
very impressive pieces of baby furniture, greg! most people would start on something a tad bit easier, like a bookcase or a simple cabinet but then there's others like you who jump in with both feet. start getting some extra sleep, ok?

:p

Scott Hubl
10-20-2007, 5:58 AM
Very nice work there Greg, and Congrats on the soon to be new arrival!
The pieces look great.

Carroll Courtney
10-20-2007, 7:37 AM
Nice job Greg,future heirlooms for the pride of your life.

Joe Unni
10-20-2007, 7:43 AM
Well done Greg!

And congratulations on your soon-to-be new arrival.

-joe

Tim Lynch
10-20-2007, 8:15 AM
Great work and a lot to get done! Congrats!

I wish I did that well with my 9 month deadline! :eek: :p

Mike Cutler
10-20-2007, 9:00 AM
Nice work Greg. They look fabulous. I'm fairly certain the rocker will break in in time. You might want to keep beeswax in your mind for the slide mechanism.

The only comment I have is on the changing table design, and it may not even be legitimate.

Most changing tables have a raised, padded, bolstered frame around the top to prevent the baby from rolling off of the table top during changes. I don't see it in the picture, but you may have it covered another way.

All in all nice work. You should be proud.

John Timberlake
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Great job. Nothing more to make for the nursery. Looks like they will be handed down for generations.

Greg Cuetara
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

One nice thing about the crib is that it changes into a day bed and then a full size bed. The crib uses all knockdown hardware so it all comes apart easily.

Mike I know exactly what you mean about the frame around where you change the baby so that they don't fall off the edge. I have been trying to figure that out and I dont really have any solutions right now. I wanted the changing table to be able to turn into a small dresser when the child grows up so I didnt' want to put anything permanantly attached. We have a changing pad with a 'seat belt' but not sure how that is going to work. I guess I will learn soon enough.

Jim Becker
10-20-2007, 9:04 PM
Nice work, Greg...and congratulations in advance!

For the "anti-roll" frame on the changing table, you can use some dowels for alignment and just a few screws up from the bottom. Later, you can plug the resulting voids...they really will not be all that noticeable on the top of a dresser.

Pat Germain
10-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing, Greg. It looks fabulous, but I especially like the changing table.

Soon you can have fun making toys for the new bambino!

Greg Cuetara
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Pat I had a friend give me a book of baby toys and it seemed everything required a lathe.....which is one toy I do not own right now. Maybe I can get a small one for christmas :) Although everytime I hear of someone getting a lathe they don't seem to go back to regular woodworking...lol