PDA

View Full Version : I need a plan...

John Keeton
10-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, in the 3 days I have been searching around on the Creek it seems apparent that I have a lot to learn! We don't plan to purchase a laser until early spring, and would like to go to the ARA show. But, do I need to get some software first and learn some basic graphic skills? What are the most popular programs? And, in what order should I purchase and learn? We plan to do mostly wood, acrylic and glass - I guess?!? Since this will be a new venture I guess we will just see where it takes us. My only skills at this point are that I am eager, and have some artistic skills. I have done woodworking for years, and have done some ad work on Publisher and use Photoshop Elements to play with images for publishing work. Any suggestions for a real beginner? I just feel like I need to get started on a learning curve before we get serious on finding a machine.

Robert Alexander
10-19-2007, 10:59 PM
John, looks like you got bit by the laser bug.:) And its terminal. I went to Vegas two times to the international sign expo, before getting my laser. Which I have had for about 2 1/2 yrs. Since you are not getting a laser right now, Start ordering the demo information kits from the various laser companys. Then start making a business plan. Will it be for hobby or profit? Or both? When it comes to lasers the big three Pinnacle Epilog and Universal are great machines with good (very important)customer support. Maybe you can find a person who has one of the lasers you are looking at in your area. Talk with them and find out what they like or dislike about their machine.
As for software Corel is what works best for me. But there is a steep learing curve, so you want to be comfortable with the software before fireing up your laser for the first time. So good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Null
10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
CorelDraw is the software of choice for the laser community and Robert is right, there is a steep learning curve. I've been at it for 9 years and still learn something almost everyday.

The sooner you get familiar with it the sooner you'll be proficient with your purchase to be. I'd buy X3.

Anthony Welch
10-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I found Sawmill Creek over 2 yrs ago researching laser engraving. I got hooked, couldn't afford an engraver and didn't know the software. No classes at the local Junior College to learn Corel Draw.

Just so happens that Roy Brewer made a 3 disk tutorial on Corel Draw(check the ARA site for this), skewed mainly to the engraving business and it was affordable (less than what a class at the JC would have cost.) Got it, some cheap clipart and CD 12. I followed along every tutorial. Then started doing stuff on my own using his tut's as referral. Also used stuff shown here and emulated what they have done.

I've read every post listed since inception of this forum and have logged on everyday, if not multiple times per day.

Now, I've purchased a used laser from ACCESS Business Solutions, Rob Bosworth. It's due late next week or early the following week.

Can't say that the way I've done it is the best way, but it was the way I found easiest.

You know the type cartoon where the guy in a VW bug has it floored with the wheels spinning 100 mph and his buddies have the back tires picked up and he's goin' no where.......... Well, next week they're letting go, the wheels are gonna' hit the ground and I'm going to hit this thing like a bat out of _ _ _ _!

By the way what ever you do don't visit the other forums here............... Since visiting the Turning forum, I've been making pens for 1 1/2 yrs.

Good luck to ya'

John Keeton
10-20-2007, 7:22 AM
Boy, you guys stay up late!! I definitely got bit by the bug. I've ignored deer season and my workshop drifting around on the Creek. The information is amazing - and I do find myself getting off track when I am drawn to another forum by a post.

I'm trying to keep in check my compulsive behavior and tendency to overwork something. But, when I started this process I thought I would have 2 mental boxes - one full of stuff I didn't know and one for stuff I learned. Trouble is, the first box keeps gettin' stuff shoved into it, and I haven't transferred much to the first box.

I have received Epilog info - they are quick!! Have requested Universal info, but have not looked at Pinnacle but will. When I Googled, I notice references to Sign Warehouse and World Laser. Are they in the pool to consider?

I appreciate so much the comments and help. Robert's question about a business plan is appropriate. Right now, we are looking at hobby, but I can see so much potential for making some money, but it would have to be my wife that undertook that as I would have time constraints. I work full time, and the wife manages a business we own, but are getting ready to close. That will consume us through the end of the year, but should free up some money and time.

Anthony's suggestion on the Brewer tutorial sounds like a good step - so I will start the search for a good deal on X3 and the Brewer CDs. Is the sign expo in conjunction with the ARA or is that something different? Is there a website for that?

Also, for others that might read this thread - are there any Kentucky guys out there that would be willing to show us there machines in exchange for a good steak supper?

Robert Murray
10-20-2007, 9:42 AM
Not sure what you are looking or have made up your mind but I think signwarehouse has opened a office in Lexington, Ky area. I just got a accuris laser from them so far very happy with it. Might be able to get a demo of there stuff there. Give you more info if nothing else.

John Keeton
10-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Robert. I haven't made up my mind - don't have near enough info yet, and not yet sure myself what we need. Most of what we do will be wood projects, but I will want to be able to do some 3D stuff on the wood, and then some glass and acrylic. I had looked at the online video on the Accuris and was impressed. Is the 30 watts enough to do 3D, or have you tried that yet?

Craig Hogarth
10-20-2007, 11:37 PM
John, I bought a training disk from www.unleash.com and corel x3 about 6 weeks before I bought my laser. I had about 10 weeks or so of practice before the laser came and I think it helped immensely.

I was by no means efficient (and still not even close), but my sales rep told me that it normally takes him about 3 hours to show clients what I was able to learn on my own. This allowed us more time to work on more advanced drawings together.

John Keeton
10-21-2007, 7:47 AM
Craig, great tip on the Unleash link! I have ordered the DVD version. Corel X3 is already on order, but don't think I will install it until I look at the Unleash series. It had an entire section on setup, so I think I will try to get the initial setup done right by taking in some of the Unleash first. Have you attempted any 3d or bas relief on wood with your 35 watt ULS? I am trying to get a good idea on how much power I need to do the type of projects that we may do. I know that I should get all I can afford, but I don't want to buy more than I need.

Craig Hogarth
10-21-2007, 8:37 PM
Have you attempted any 3d or bas relief on wood with your 35 watt ULS? I am trying to get a good idea on how much power I need to do the type of projects that we may do. I know that I should get all I can afford, but I don't want to buy more than I need.

I got a 3d sample from Gantryco.com and it came out pretty good. I had to do three passes at 100 power, 50 speed and it took about 20 minutes or so for a 4 inch circular graphic.

We're still debating if we want to offer 3d engraving, but it's had to justify the cost.

I'm happy with my 35 watt, although I'm thinking that we'll be upgrading to a 45 watt once my tube dies. The only jobs I've turned down due to power are ones where the customer wants 1 inch thick boards cut or something totally insane.

John Keeton
10-22-2007, 7:08 AM
It seems that 45 watts is the desired power given what I am seeing from various contributors, etc. Power also seems to be the place to put the money rather than bed size from what everyone says.

Looked at the Gantryco site - some good looking stuff, but pricey. Not having any experience yet with the software I would imagine it would take hours and hours to build that type of image so they are probably not out of line for what they do. But, you would need to have a large job to justify having them build the image file. On the other hand, time is money and if having them do the image file gives one time to complete other work, that is a consideration as well.

My wife will be using the machine for the most part for non - 3D work, but I am wanting to create a use for furniture building which is more what I like to do. The 3D application would make some interesting insert panels for furniture projects, so the cost could be built into the overall piece which may help some. Pete Simmons mentioned a Shopbot, and that would seem to be a lot more productive for the intended purpose but I don't think I could justify that cost right now.

Also, since our machine will have limited "for profit" use, there will a lot of down time. Now, I just have to figure out how to get my wife to babysit the machine while it produces MY projects!!