PDA

View Full Version : which fence to keep?

Dan O'Connor
10-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I bought a delta unifence and a beisemeyer at lowes. I need to get rid of one. Which should I keep? I have a unisaw. Maybe I should sell the unisaw with the fence because I almost always use my dewalt 1531 radial for everything because that is what I am used to.

John Thompson
10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I won't comment on the Uni-fence vs the Biesemeyer as I have a Biesemeyer that I mount a home-made Euro short fence (ala.. principle that the Uni-fence is based on). So.. both are excellent IMO.

Just wanted to add that if you ever do any serious "ripping" as I do in the future, I would be hesitant to get rid of the Uni-saw. You can rip on a radial, but I personally think that the Uni-saw is much safer and more suited for that task.

Good luck...

Sarge..

scott spencer
10-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Those are both nice fences with distinct differences, both with large loyal followings. Go with whichever one you like best....just a matter of preference.

Per Swenson
10-20-2007, 8:08 AM
I would look at this a differently..

Which Fence to sell?

Why, the one I could get 'Mo Moohlah for.

In reality, I would keep 'em both.

Because I would never get my total investment (Purchase price, time I spent at the store,gas I used to get there, time I spent composing the question,time I spent waiting for replys.........)

Ease up I am kidding, it's Satiday Morning.:rolleyes:

I am not kidding about keeping them though,

a extra straight hunk of metal is always useful.

Per

Dan O'Connor
10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks, I guess I was looking at it more for which one to get rid of because of the new non-metal addition to our family. I need to think less about the 40 tooth count and more about the zero tooth count.

Dan Forman
10-20-2007, 4:15 PM
I can see your point! I like the Unifence because of the ability to slide the fence forward or back as needed. The only downside is that it's more difficult to fasten fixtures to than the Beis. Once the new "blade" has a few teeth, you can get a a Uni-T fence replacement that will solve that problem http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm

Dan

Loren Hedahl
10-20-2007, 6:06 PM
I'd sell the unisaw with whichever fence the customer preferred. Then sell the other fence separately. Your DeWalt RAS will rip smoothly and safely if you operate it correctly, same as with a table saw, using a push stick specifically made for a RAS, infeed and outfeed tables, etc.

Since I usually use a inferior Craftsman 9 inch on site I shim the fence to get perpendicular and parallel cuts, rather than use the saw's built-in adjustments. It is quicker and more accurate. Also I never "swing the arm" away from straight out. If I want to cut at an angle, I position the wood at the angle needed.

Perhaps if I had a DeWalt I wouldn't need to check the fence each time after moving it from my trailer to the site -- but I like the light weight aluminum armed Craftsman for my use. Like you I am so used to it the table saw I have in my shop seldom gets used. As soon as our daughter and son-in-law get settled in their own home, I plan to give it to them along with many of my other tools.

Jason White
10-20-2007, 6:21 PM
I'm with Per.

Who knows, maybe you'll want TWO tablesaws at some point.

You could have one with a regular blade, and one dedicated for making dadoes!

JW

I would look at this a differently..

Which Fence to sell?

Why, the one I could get 'Mo Moohlah for.

In reality, I would keep 'em both.

Because I would never get my total investment (Purchase price, time I spent at the store,gas I used to get there, time I spent composing the question,time I spent waiting for replys.........)

Ease up I am kidding, it's Satiday Morning.:rolleyes:

I am not kidding about keeping them though,

a extra straight hunk of metal is always useful.

Per

Joe Scarfo
10-20-2007, 8:07 PM
Where are you located? I may be interested in the unifence...

Tks
Joe

Jim Becker
10-20-2007, 8:57 PM
The choice for me would be easy...UniFence...but many folks prefer the Biesemeyer style because they feel it is easier to "jig" up. For the six years I owned a cabinet saw, I really missed the UniFence that I had on the previous contractors' style saw, largely because of the high/low positioning as well as the way it can be slid back for safety on certain cuts. I now have all that back with the same kind of fence setup on my Euro sliding saw.