PDA

View Full Version : What is a not used but not "new" leigh d4 worth?

Jamie Smith
10-19-2007, 8:45 PM
I am trying to figure out if it is worth trying to sell my leigh dovetail jig. I want to try to get enough to replace it with a incra system.

I have the jig, along with the M2 MMT attachment and a few bits. I don't think that I even ever put the MMT on the jig.

Is there any other specific information I should find out before listing?

I have the instruction manual, and I am sure that I could find the video as well.

I am not soliciting bids here, just trying to figure out what it is worth.

Thanks,

jamie

Brandon Shew
10-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Call me crazy, but it seems to me that it's either new or used. There's no gray there - just black or white. If you bought it and used it once, it's used. If you bought it and let it sit in a box and collect dust, then it could still pass for new.

FWIW - There's a guy on craigslist locally selling a used Akeeda DC-16V jig for $325. To me it seems like it should be a lot less. If it's lightly used then I would expect to see at least a 1/3 price reduction from new. If heavily used then I would think that 50% reduction would be realistic.

Chris Rosenberger
10-19-2007, 8:59 PM
Jamie,
You might want to check Ebay for the amount Leigh jigs are selling for there.

Chris

Alan Schaffter
10-19-2007, 9:00 PM
It is worth whatever people will pay. Sell it on Ebay, there are crazy people there who will pay close to new retail for a good used one!

Todd Jensen
10-19-2007, 9:09 PM
I agree, used is used. The agreement made with the manufacturer at purchase is null and void once you become the secondary owner, and the price should reflect that IMO. However, like the others said, you can always ask for the moon and come down to whatever number equals your desperation + someone else's interest.

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 9:16 PM
Im with Alan on this one, dumb farts over at Ebay will pay outrageous amounts just to win the auction. It doesnt seem to matter what the thing is really worth. To be honest its worth $20 bucks but only if you sell it to me. I can pay right away and cover shipping too!! LOL Im kidding you of course........

Tom Cowie
10-19-2007, 9:24 PM
Im with Alan on this one, dumb farts over at Ebay will pay outrageous amounts just to win the auction. It doesnt seem to matter what the thing is really worth. To be honest its worth $20 bucks but only if you sell it to me. I can pay right away and cover shipping too!! LOL Im kidding you of course........

Your right Jim

When two or more people want it the price climbs out of sight.

Tom

Bryan Berguson
10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
A brand new D4R will cost $413.24 from WoodCraft Supply. Ask me how I know! :) I'm thinking used ones (D4's) were going for around $275-$300.

Bryan

Mike Spanbauer
10-19-2007, 10:57 PM
$330 in flawless condition. (new) anything over and above what came with retail increases value.

case, bits, additional cutting bars...

mike

Lee Hingle
10-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Sold mine on ebay for $325 a month and a half ago with a couple of bits. Used but in very good condition
Lee

Scott Hubl
10-20-2007, 5:20 AM
I just bought this one 2 weeks ago maybe 3 at most.

It is a Model D-1258R-24 and has been upgraded to a D3.

For about $80.00 I can upgrade it to a D4. and am going to call Leigh to see IF it can be upgraded to a D4R.

It came with the bits (at least 20), manuals, CMT 10 piece leigh bit boxed set, the MMT mortise and tenon finger template (still New in the box), the F1 finger joint finger template (used once), the spiral bit 12 piece set, the poplar cabinet the seller made for it, 5 Leigh router guides, 3 Craftsman guides, plus the guide kit that comes with the F1 has several in a small plastic case, and some other odds and ends, including all the original reciepts. For all of it I paid $145.00.
I bought a quite few other tools from the seller also, all at good prices.:D

Pics can be seen on this site here>
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66766

Carroll Courtney
10-20-2007, 7:42 AM
As my late father inlaw always said "you can always go down, but you can't go up".

Jamie Smith
10-23-2007, 4:43 PM
Thanks to all that commented. I did end up posting it on ebay, I got ~$450 for it.