PDA

View Full Version : Making a tool rest need saddle washer

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 7:26 PM
A friend of mine is helping me make some tool rests for the lathe. Were using 1" solid round stock for the posts and the straight rests. I looked at a modular system at woodcraft and the only thing they have over one you make yourself is the saddle washer that goes on top of the post between the post and the rest itself. Does anyone know of a source for this type of washer? I tried McMaster-Carr and a few others and didnt see any there. I wouldnt have thought this would be a hard item to find but Im learning otherwise.

Les Kuesel
10-19-2007, 8:07 PM
Jim I just made some rests for my self. I thought the post was 1" but I found out it was 15/16". So the 1' didn't fit in my rest holder. I used a welder to make mine. I just centered and welded the rest to the post. I also did some with angle iron on top of the rest so the tool only has the top corner to glide on. It sure was cheap about $10 and I made 6 different ones both round stock and with angle. I didn't use any washer because the biggest one was only 8" and I didn't feel I needed anymore support than just the weld.

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 8:12 PM
Yeah Im starting the think the same way. I thought at first a modular system would be a cool way to go then I started thinking, whats easier, to loosen the rest, lift it out and replace with another one. Or unscrew the rest and screw on another one. The latter procedure still requires you to lift the rest out of the holder plus adds another step so I think Im just going to make a 6,9 and 12" straight rest then an "S" shaped rest for bowls and stuff. The "S" holder will be a round stock 1" post then the "S" itself will be out of 1.25x3/16 flat stock since its easier to bend then solid round stock.

Richard Madison
10-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Jim,
What's a "saddle washer"? Is it like a bushing with a set screw? If so, check with a place that sells bearings, as such bushings are used to prevent axial movement or provide axial location of a shaft supported by bearings. I use one on the 1" post of a tool rest, so that when installed on the banjo it is always at the correct elevation. Feel free to ignore if this is completely irrelevant.

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Its a washer made to sit flat on one side yet accept a round bar or tube on the other. Like if you wanted a round bar to sit on a flat piece of metal. It kind of "cradles" the bar stock and makes it more secure.

Richard Madison
10-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Jim.
I should have known that. So it goes between the rest bar and the post bar.

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah thats the one.

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Jim I just cut a saddle in the tool post and welded mine. I have a curved one for bowls, a offset one 6" one side of the post and 3" on the other side and a straight 6" one. I don't like the modular I bought from Woodcraft because if you don't just jump on them when tightening them up they keep coming loose and when you do that it take wrench to loosen them. I am in the process of making a 4" one for small stuff. I like them stout so both pieces are 1". I don't use the modular one much any more.

Jim Kountz
10-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Bernie, good to hear from an owner of the WC system. I have talked myself out of making it modular actually. I like the idea of having a dedicated rest for each occassion and I think I will follow your advice and just cut a saddle in the top of the post for the horizontal bar.
Thanks for the info!

Paul Engle
10-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I was gonna say grind a V in the top of the post but Bernie beat me to it , When i made mine I used a 1'' rad mill and milled out a saddle but the V works the same, gives the weld a good bite.

Allen Neighbors
10-20-2007, 11:15 PM
The Fastenal company will have saddle washers. Every city of moderate size probably has this business located there.

Dennis Peacock
10-21-2007, 7:17 AM
Hey Jim,

Just put two piece of round stock together and have your welder buddy weld it up. He can fill any gaps with a decent welder setup and the ones I've used really took a beating. I'm going to have some more made for myself in the next few weeks.

Jerry Allen
10-21-2007, 9:24 AM
Jim,
I made some 5/8 rests using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to rough out the saddle and then finished it with a rotary tool with a 5/8 alum oxide drum. After reading this post and having started to do my own welding I think I'll just cut a V next time.
Also, I just got a used Jet lathe with a 1" tool post. The guy I got it from made a few rests using iron/galv pipe for the tool post and typically angle iron on the top. I guess that would be 3/4 pipe on the post. They are strong and vibration free. Cutting and working the pipe would be easier than solid rod. I'll let you know if I get around to trying it.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I"ll check my Sorby modular system. I don't think they use a saddle washer. They just milled a flat surface in the bottom of the rest and then drilled and tapped the hole. If they use a saddle washer, I'm in trouble!:o

Jim Kountz
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Ken, I could be confused on where I saw this, Ive been looking at so many on the internet and everywhere else. It may not be the Sorby system that had the saddle washer. Going with what Dennis said if you just weld them up, filling in the gaps then grinding it smooth, you have then in a sense made the saddle at the same time. Makes sense to me!

Ed Kittleson
10-21-2007, 12:53 PM
These are made and furnished direct or to Woodcraft and other suppliers by:

bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tbarmodtools.html (http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tbarmodtools.html)

They are part of their modular tool rest systems and are included with each size tool rest post but I have bought replacement washers for lost ones.

Richard Madison
10-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Instead of locating the "rest" bar directly on top of the "post" bar, consider grinding your saddle area offset from center of the post bar, or even near the O.D. of the post bar. If the rest bar extends a bit in front of the post it gives more clearance for the banjo under the work. Look at your stock cast iron tool rest and note that the edge that the tool rests on is actually "out in front of" the tool post. This gives extra clearance for the banjo around the max. O.D. of the workpiece. I grind the "saddle" area into what will be the "front" of the top end of the tool post, not the very top.

Hope what I think I just wrote is the same as what you think you just read. Sometimes trying to be helpful is good, and sometimes not.

Jim Kountz
10-22-2007, 7:01 AM
Thanks for the tip Richard, and yes it makes sense!