PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Workstation Finished!

Tim Dorcas
10-19-2007, 6:59 PM
Woodworking is one of the things I truly enjoy and has captivated my attention longer than anything else I have been interested in. That said, there are other things that I still occasionally participate in. This includes photography, writing, and music.

For my birthday, instead of buying another woodworking tool, I decided to get an M-Audio Axiom 61 MIDI Keyboard. Once it was attached to a laptop I wasn't really using, it became an instant piano! However, it was sitting awkwardly on my old computer desk with my laptop that didn't really fit the purpose. I can't say it was a real pleasure in that environment to play. And so I didn't really use it like I thought.

When the oldest son decided to move out, that freed up a room that would no longer have a purpose. Or would it?!? After taking a class in Kitchen Cabinet Making and purchasing the Advanced Veritas 32 Cabinet Making System, I decided to combine what I learned with a basic plan for my new keyboard.

The results are below. It really is a pleasure to use now (except I need to get a better chair) and everything is very convenient to access. I believe I have successfully combined two things that I enjoy: woodworking and music.

You can read quite a bit more on my website including where I screwed up, costs, and tool reviews.

Enjoy!

Tim

Jim O'Dell
10-19-2007, 7:16 PM
Good job!! (Don't let my wife see that!) Jim.

Jim Kountz
10-19-2007, 7:44 PM
Hey Tim nice solution to a big problem, what to do with the keyboard and the keyboard! Looks alot like my last studio setup but even better.

Jim Becker
10-19-2007, 8:01 PM
Looks like a nice solution that provides you with an appropriate workspace for this endeavor. I may have to consider something similar one of these days...

Scott Hubl
10-20-2007, 5:54 AM
Excellent job on that, looks to be very functional.

Nice work.

Doug Shepard
10-20-2007, 6:19 AM
Well Roll Over Beethoven and Tell Norm Abrams the News:cool:

Carroll Courtney
10-20-2007, 7:32 AM
Tim,that looks fantastic! Your homepage is also very good.Please post some of your future projects,I like the way that you explain the mistakes and how you fix them.Tool review was also nice.I always was wondering about the jig you have,I ended up purchasing a used Tormak.Again nice job,thanks for the post w/pics

Tim Dorcas
10-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Tim,that looks fantastic! Your homepage is also very good.Please post some of your future projects,I like the way that you explain the mistakes and how you fix them.Tool review was also nice.I always was wondering about the jig you have,I ended up purchasing a used Tormak.Again nice job,thanks for the post w/pics

Thanks for the kind words :)

While my sharpening jig works, I am still thinking about getting a Work Sharp 3000. We'll see.

As for more furniture projects, I have a bunch in the planning stages. I am hoping to build a bedroom set which is quite exciting. I am waiting to get a decent mortiser at the upcoming Calgary Woodworking Show. And I have built a bunch of boxes which I think are pretty cool. They need finishing which is by far my least favorite thing.

I'd be interested to know what kinds of stuff you make.

Steven Wilson
10-21-2007, 1:17 AM
Very nice. Midi workstations are great to have. I had one made for me when I was in Saudi to hold a large synth, computer, dual monitors and a Yamaha 02R. It was a great environment to work up ideas on tape.