PDA

View Full Version : Defective Vice?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-07-2004, 9:48 AM
I bought the "economy" quick release bench vice advertised in the woodcraft flyer this month. The jaws are not parallel when opened, but I think they are supposed to be parallel when the vice is closed. I read somewhere that that's the way its designed so the top edge engages the workpiece first. Anyway, they won't go parallel because when the faces engage, and you put pressure on the vice, the quick release mechanism releases the pressure. Its not like I can't clamp anything, because it takes a lot of torque before it releases and the jaws are almost parallel, just a small gap at the bottom of the vice. I'm thinking this isn't normal, but I don't want to take it off the bench and back to woodcraft only to find out this is the way its supposed to work.

Todd Burch
02-07-2004, 10:17 AM
I would say that a quality vise should not release when significantly tightened.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks Todd, I'm taking it back today.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-07-2004, 3:16 PM
The folks at woodcraft said my vise was the first one they've had returned. I didn't want to take another chance on the "economy" model and ended up with the 7" Jorgensen instead.