PDA

View Full Version : new chisel

Mike Steinhilper
10-19-2007, 2:35 PM
I picked up my first good quality chisel today. I've been using some Craftsman chisels with pretty good results for a year or so. Should I sharpen and hone this new chisel before I use it? I'm hesitant because I do not want to give it a screwed up edge. I'm pretty new at sharpening and I'm doing it freehand. By the way, the new one is Two Cherries if it matters.

Brian Kent
10-19-2007, 2:59 PM
Sharpen? Probably not needed.

Honing? Absolutely.

Dead flat on the back, especially if it is a polished two cherries. In the past they could have a little rounding from the polishing process.

Slight secondary bevel on the front.

Then remember to keep the pointy metal end towards the wood and the dull, woody end towards you.:D

Do you already have 2000 or finer sandpaper or a honing stone?

Jude Kingery
10-19-2007, 3:07 PM
Mike, while none of my turning tools are Two Cherries, my carving set is, and they are marvelous tools. Congratulations! Jude

Don C Peterson
10-19-2007, 3:34 PM
I second the suggestion to tune it up before using. If the back isn't FLAT and you don't have a good honed edge, you might be pretty dissapointed.

I've never yet bought an edge tool that was really ready to use. Even the LN plane irons and Japanese chisels all needed a bit of flattening/honing.

Mike Steinhilper
10-19-2007, 4:28 PM
ok, that makes sense. i'll check the back and flatten it. thanks!

Zahid Naqvi
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
You'll never learn if you don't try, I doubt you can harm any chisel by sharpening considering you have been using craftsman already for a year or so.

Danny Thompson
10-22-2007, 1:12 PM
Just stay away from the grinder for a little while.