PDA

View Full Version : Jwl-1642evs

Wayne Bitting
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Okay - I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on buying this one and the question is 2 hp (240V) or 1.5hp (120v). Obviously the bigger the better, but how much of a difference really is there since horse power is advertising? I would have to add running a 240 line into the workshop to the extra $200 for the lathe. (Jet isn't offering the $100 rebate on the 2hp model) I'm upgrading from a ShoopSmith so anything got to be better (turning a 15" platter was a little hairy at 750rpm). Amazon is still offering free shipping on both of the lathes. Thanks

Frank Kobilsek
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Wayne
I have been happy with my 110V 1642. I don't have 220 in my shop yet so it was the only easy choice.
Frank

Jack Norfleet
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I asked the same question and the overwhelming response was to go for more power if you can afford it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48827

Of course, I had the 220 outlet already installed.

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Wayne - I have the 2 hp version and love it! I did the 240 volt install myself - so that wasn't a problem. Chose the 2 hp so I would have plenty of power for things I could grow into in the future; coring, large hollow forms and eventually outboard turnings. Whichever version you end up with - you will really enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing your new lathe real soon!

Jim Becker
10-19-2007, 1:37 PM
I'll also suggest that ultimately, you'll be happier with the 2hp version over time.

Wayne Bitting
10-19-2007, 3:28 PM
ToolNuts came back with $1550 for it, so I'll probably go that route. Now I just need to figure out how to get power to it and figure out how to clear out the shop to make it fit!

Jim Becker
10-19-2007, 4:47 PM
You may also want to speak to Woodworker's Haven in Southampton as a potential local source.

Tom Steyer
10-19-2007, 9:36 PM
Wayne,

I've had the 2hp version since early July, and am very satisfied.

One suggestion when you are setting up- go down to the borg and pick up a double-pole/single throw switch and a box to mount it in. Wire the pigtail from the lathe controller to the load side of the switch, and an appropriate cord/plug to the line side of the switch. Place the switch in a convenient place near your lathe. This provides - 1. secondary shut-off if you ever have an emergency - 2. convenient isolation from power source for periods when you are not using the lathe - 3. a safety disconnect for when you are reconfiguring the lathe (changing chuck jaws, etc.) saves having to unplug the power cord. I use a similar secondary switch on most of my stationary power tools, primarily as a safety measure.

Richard Madison
10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
What procedure or method used to set the belt tension? Not "loosen bolt A and tighten tab B". I mean, how much tension are you applying to the belt when you adjust it or change speed, and how do you know how much is enough?

Thinking mine is a little too loose, set with just the motor weight hanging on the belt and maybe just a tad more. When those very, very rare (yeah, right) massive catches happen when roughing an ugly chunk, the belt slips and squeals, and one attemps to stop instantaneously to avoid flat-spotting the belt. Seriously doubt if I have ever slowed the motor, never mind actually stalled it.

So should I tighten up the belt a bit more?

Wayne, Just get the 2 Hp. In a couple years you will never miss the few extra $$, and you will want the 220V service in your shop for other stuff too.