PDA

View Full Version : Well, tomorrow is my first Artisan Fair. Any tips?

Bill Wyko
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Tomorrow and Sunday are my first Artisan Fair. My work was the feature on the flyers that went out. Anyone have any tips for this beginner?:D

Jeff Bower
10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Bill, is the Monsoon the feature in the flyer? If so I'd say all you need to worry about is where to put all the cash you'll be bringing home. Don't have any real advise, but good luck and I hope you do well.

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Haven't done a show yet so only advice I can offer is to smile alot and enjoy your fame!!!

Frank Kobilsek
10-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Bill,

My first show I had no packing material or bags for the customer to carry the work they just bought away in. I use tissue paper and plastic Walmart bags now.

Also I don't have a merchant credit card account so I take cash or check. When a customer does not have enough cash and does not have thier check book with them, I offer to take a deposit $20 or more cash. I set the piece aside on hold. If they send me a check within 10 days I ship the piece at my cost to them. If no check arrives there is no return of the deposit. This has worked so far.

Bring a roughed out piece so they can see the process. You will find the first vist to a specific event you will be educating as much as selling. Then second year you'll see the same faces and they will buy.

Good luck!
Frank

Barry Elder
10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
As was mentioned before, you get to meet some great people, you get to educate them, and you might get paid for it! Hope you have great weather and a big free-spending crowd to keep you busy!

Marvin Hasenak
10-19-2007, 1:06 PM
Plenty of change, lots of $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills. There are always the buyers that wants a $10 item and then whips out a $100. Sometimes it shocks them that you can break a $100.

As previously stated, packing material and sacks. Office supply stores carry a pretty good mix of packing supplies.

A comfortable chair, if tables are being used regular chair is okay, if display at all levels, use a tall directors chair so you can be at almost eye level. You want to be at the customers eye level.

Comfortable clothes and a GREAT pair of shoes. When your feet hurt even a $100 sale won't make them feel good. Maybe better but not good.

Last and most important is have a good sense of humor. There will be times that it will be your only salvation. Leave all sharp objects at home, it does no good to kill the obnoxious rude jerks, that just causes them to multiply

Marvin

Raymond Overman
10-19-2007, 1:21 PM
Take a tall stool or directors style chair and sit at the front of your booth or even slightly in the aisle to make yourself available and prominent to attendees. Smile and talk to people about your work. At the last show I did I had multiple people that commented that I was the only artist there that actively approached them and talked about what I was doing. They saw that as a positive aspect of my work and it was the best show I've ever done.

Have a piece of paper for them to write down their name and email/mailing address so you can send them an update about what you're doing after the show. Even if you have a bad day at sales, stay at your post until the show time is finished. Last minute stragglers walk by you if you're packing up and you can miss revenue and good conversation if you are not in it until the end.

I like having a bowl with candy in it to give to kids and adults and at least one or two $5-$10 pieces that wouldn't be a heart breaker to just give away if a kid really shows some interest or an adult just has to have something but is unable to afford a $100 exotic hollow form. Of course this depends on the show too. I do mostly family craft fair type events so kids are in tow.

It's a little late for this weekend but I've found that Nashville Wraps (http://www.nashvillewraps.com/) has good products for bagging that add value to your work and are reasonably priced.

Finally, remember the ABC of selling. Always be closing (remember Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross). Ask the person to buy your work. Don't just passively let them look. Be active in the process. Ask questions like, can I put that in a bag for you. Which piece do you like. Assure them that you'll take cash or check. Make the sale.

Bill Wyko
10-19-2007, 3:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'll put all this to good use. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try to take pics too.:)

Jonathan Harvey
10-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I look forward to hearing your results.

Jim Kountz
10-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Bill, I cant believe you would have any trouble selling your segmented stuff. I looked at your site and I can only aspire to your level someday. You do absolutely amazing work, top notch. Good luck and the only advice I can offer is dont let your first show be your only show. The first one I ever did was horrible and I didnt sell squat. Turns out it was just that show as I did better at others. I was about to forget all about craft shows but didnt.