PDA

View Full Version : Wood Sources - SW Ohio

Ken Stevens
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know the name of a hardwood lumber company in Washington Courthouse, OH? I knew there was one many years ago but can not find a name via a google search.

I realize that a while bac there was a thread discussing hardwood sources in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. I am trying to expand that information, by asking about the Washington Courthouse business, if it still exists.

Also, an update on Paxton Lumber Company in Madiera, a suburb of Cincinnati: while they shut down their retail lumber sales operation, they have told me they still sell to individuals, they just do not provide the services they used to, namely custom cuts, etc.

Finally, I was given the name of DSI, Distributors Services, Inc. which is listed as wholesale only; yet I heard that they sell to individuals, but I have been unable to confirm this. They are located in the greater Cincinnati area and have a pretty good online catalog.

Any comments on any of this, particularly the name of a company in Washington Courthouse?

Thanks,
Ken

Mike McCann
10-19-2007, 1:35 PM
I live in Cincinnati and have bought 5 x 5 baltic birch from DSI. As an individual you can purchase from them. Have you checked out these guys in Xenia. http://www.crlumber.com/. Paxton is extrememly expensive in my opinion.

Scott Brihn
10-19-2007, 2:33 PM
You may be thinking of Willis Lumber. They founded the business in 1887.

Mike Conley
10-19-2007, 3:08 PM
http://www.willislumber.com/

Ken Stevens
10-19-2007, 8:03 PM
Willis Lumber it is....many thanks.

I bought a bunch of poplar and red oak today at Paxton Lumber. Contrary to the common thought that they will no longer sell to individuals, the reality is that they have "shut down their retail operation" (means no more custom cuts or consumer products) but "they will sell to individuals". Their prices were competitive to those quoted at DSI and Frank Miller. Their prices on sheet goods were, however, outrageous, and I skipped buying the sheets I need there. DSI was some $20 cheaper but I believe I will shave another $10 or $20 off by getting the 3/4 red oak at Home Depot.

Thanks for the reminder about Willis.

Ken

Mike Malott
10-19-2007, 9:09 PM
The folks at Willis are great...especially Larry, their truck driver!
DSI is also good, but their deliveries come on a semi truck. Willis has a smaller flatbed truck.

I really gave up on Paxton years ago unless I needed just one piece of wood. Their minimum orders for delivery escalated from $300 to $500 to $750!
DSI will deliver my $200 orders for free and Willis delivers a 500bd ft minimum for free.

Have you tried Flagg Inc. on Seward Road in Fairfield for sheet goods?

The now defunct Denier Brothers in Evendale was an interesting place!

Mike

Mike Conley
10-19-2007, 9:21 PM
I used a small family owned sawmill in West Manchester, OH a couple of times. I go through wood slow so it has been a while since I bought from them. I don't even know if they are still open. At the time they had good prices.

Here is the information I have:

Miller Hardwood Lumber Sales
1056 Banta Rd.
West Manchester, OH 45382
ph 937-962-4404