PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
10-19-2007, 6:24 AM
Friday October 19th, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

A busy week here. Or it seems that way. I've done several dealer trades with another scheduled for today. I enjoy getting to drive all these different vehicles, but it sure does mess up my plans.

We've had a lot of rain this week. I think we're up around 5-6 inches. Wish we could've had some of this back in the summer.

I'm hoping to get out in the shop this weekend, but there are no guarantees. I've taken on another small project. I need to refinish a walnut china cabinet of my mom's since we lived in Long Beach, CA in the early 60's. We'll see how much time I get out there. I also need to finish getting stuff put away for the winter.

So how was your week and what are your plans for the weekend? Got a special project going? Finish up some "honey do's"? Prepare for the change of season? Whatever it is, let's hear about it.

Have a good weekend and above all be SAFE.

Karl

Sean Troy
10-19-2007, 8:27 AM
I'm finally going to start setting up the new shop. All construction is done and now the fun begins. I was going to start yesterday but was dodging tornados all day.

Joe Pelonio
10-19-2007, 9:06 AM
We didn't have tornadoes, but we did have 60 mph winds and I go behind on my work with the power flickering all afternoon. It actually went out only once for just a few minutes, so we were lucky, since 280,000 were without power at 8pm. There were a few homes destroyed by falling trees and two deaths from this storm. It's still windy this morning but not nearly as bad. We do have branches all over the place to clean up.

Bill White
10-19-2007, 9:07 AM
Finally goin' to clean up my side of the garage in the new house. Got all the extra trim, paint (the painters just finished Wed.), electrical, plumbin' stuff to put away. Then Mr. Dakota won't have to sit in the driveway.
Bill

Al Willits
10-19-2007, 9:09 AM
Lots of rain, I think we just set a 100 year record for rainfall here in the twin cities, Karl it gets much worse and I'll be able to boat over to your place..:)

Sat is a fishing tournament so no woodworking then, but Sunday if its not rainning, I'll put the top on the car/boat port we are trying to assemble between rainfalls.
Also hitting both Rockler and Woodcraft on a glue run, got to do some gluing on the front railing I'm making, so I'll see what they have to offer and then assemble and install the railing.....if it doesn't rain. :)

Have a safe and well weekend all.

Al

Jim Becker
10-19-2007, 9:41 AM
Well...I have YMCA duty this week with the girlie-girls for karate and swimming so that takes a few hours out of the weekend. Otherwise, I'll be doing a bit of back-fill work for the addition with my Kubota as the larger machine from the excavating contractor cannot get into area between the patio/pond and the addition. I also need to get a location setup in the attic of the addition for an IDF for CATV and network services as the electrician will be pulling the cables for that next week. Speaker wire in the new MBR as well as two more runs of the same in the home theater area for the L-R surround speakers and one for the sub are also on tap. (7.1 system) And then...maybe...I'll get in the shop to work on the face frame for the tall linen cabinet.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
A dear elk hunting buddy of mine died a week and a half ago. Tonight I have to attend a celebration of Larry's life at the Jack O'Connor Museum. I could tell you long stories about this huge generous man but I'll just say this. Elk typically go around 700+ lbs. Once you pull the trigger, the work begins. We hunted the extremely steep mountains of Idaho on foot and used horses and mules to pack out the elk. Larry and I were the only ones in camp who could tie knots other than those used on your shoe laces so he and I did all the packing. He was always happier and more excited when one of the other 5 hunters in camp tagged their elk than when he himself got his. He always was happy to pack your elk out. Big, huge, generous man!

This weekend, finish moving "stuff" from the east side of the shop to the west side. Trim out the window in the east wall and start painting the east half of the shop. OF COURSE, I'm "on call" this week for eastern Washington, north eastern Oregon and northern Idaho. All plans are based on the assumption that no x-ray, CT or MR equipments go down in that area.

Danny Thompson
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Cornhole boards (similar to washers or horseshoes, but with a beanbag filled with corn) for a halloween party.

Paul Hendrickson
10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
A dear elk hunting buddy of mine died a week and a half ago. Tonight I have to attend a celebration of Larry's life at the Jack O'Connor Museum. I could tell you long stories about this huge generous man but I'll just say this. Elk typically go around 700+ lbs. Once you pull the trigger, the work begins. We hunted the extremely steep mountains of Idaho on foot and used horses and mules to pack out the elk. Larry and I were the only ones in camp who could tie knots other than those used on your shoe laces so he and I did all the packing. He was always happier and more excited when one of the other 5 hunters in camp tagged their elk than when he himself got his. He always was happy to pack your elk out. Big, huge, generous man!

Nice tribute for what sounds like a great man. I'm sure he was glad to call you a friend.

I will hopefully get to work some more on moving into my new barn.

Al Willits
10-19-2007, 1:48 PM
In this day of people starting sentences with "I" it's nice to hear about someone who started his with "we", my condolences Ken, good friends are something to treasure.

Al

Craig Kershaw
10-19-2007, 2:09 PM
Saturday I'm going to be a judge. (A Kansas City Barbeque Society Judge) Me and 3 of my barbeque team buddies are going to switch from barbeque competion to barbeque judging. We took the judges class earlier this year and judged at the Maryland State championship. Tomorrow we are going to Dover, De. Barebeque judging is hard work. You are forced to eat/taste six portions each of beef brisket, pork ribs, chicken and pulled pork. Tough work but somebody has to do it.
Sunday I'll be pulling wire so I can set up 220 in my garage, my electrician is coming next week. I've got a new Grizzly GO490 jointer set up in the garage that I can't fire up until the wiring is in.

Rick Hubbard
10-19-2007, 5:37 PM
Me, I'm going to finish off the installation of 2 new windows I put in my shop earlier in the summer. The attached picture shows what happens when "being frugal" isn't always the best solution. As youu can see there is a BUNCH of extraneous trimwork around this window. That's because I thought I would save $8.00 and buy 2 sheets of drywall instead of 3. I can't tell you how much extra work I've gone through to try to make this "right.":o

This is a "must do" project because I need to reinstall my shop heater before the snow flies (gas inlet is showing in the lower part of the pic).

David Duke
10-19-2007, 6:14 PM
For the first weekend in I don't know how long I have absolutely nothing I "have" to do this weekend other than attend the wedding of our neighbors son. If I feel like it I'll spray some spar varnish on a couple of rockers my dad had built for my boys several years ago. The original finish had long ago went bad and I somehow got "conned" into refinishing them.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.

Bill Wyko
10-19-2007, 7:30 PM
Well, this weekend is my first Artisan fair, in which I'm the featured artist.:o I've never done anything like this before but I think it'll be a lot of fun. I'll be showing some of my turnings my boxes business card holders and a travel humidor. wish me luck:)

Jim O'Dell
10-19-2007, 7:33 PM
Yeah!!! It's the weekend!! I hope to play some more with the Incra LS Positioner and dove tails. If I get that down, then I need to start building some drawers for the router table. Need to pick up some of the dead fall from the past weeks storm. Should spend all weekend picking up pecans, but since they are all natives, I'm not real anxious to do it. Will probably let the squirrels have most of them. Keeps the dogs in shape! :D Hope everyone has a good one! Jim.