PDA

View Full Version : Finished Cherry Center

Craig D Peltier
10-18-2007, 8:19 PM
Hi, this is a cherry ent ctr. It has three draws and two doors.Inside doors have adjustable shelves. The legs are solid 12/4 cherry tapered on two sides. I had to do a giant stop dado in the legs see sample pic. The black fabric is speaker fabric. It came out real nice. Only place that had plywood is the bottom and back. 100% cherry throughout.
It was a commissioned piece.

Thanks for looking.

Craig D Peltier
10-18-2007, 8:23 PM
I cant attach pic of mach up of leg.It says its already attached.I even renamed it and moved it and it still didnt let me load it.
Weird.

Dave Anthony
10-18-2007, 8:56 PM
Very nice. I asume the reason for the use of speaker fabric is that is is IR transparent? What type of finish?

Jim Becker
10-18-2007, 9:08 PM
Very nice piece, Craig! This "cherry-o-holic" approves of your species choice, too!

Jason Beam
10-18-2007, 9:08 PM
VERY nice!

I'm finishing up the design for almost exactly the same thing :)

Craig D Peltier
10-19-2007, 7:57 PM
Very nice. I asume the reason for the use of speaker fabric is that is is IR transparent? What type of finish?

Its just for speakers is what I built it for. It was Rockler fabric for speakers. Good question though.
Bartleys Gel Varnish three coats.Steel wool after second coat.

Todd Jensen
10-19-2007, 9:14 PM
First of all, very nice piece. That said, hope you don't mind honest feedback. I wish the drawers had some type of pulls and think you could have had more overhang on your top aesthetically. The other thing is I don't see the point to an entertainment center where you can't hide your cable box, etc. Those things said(and please don't take any of it as hostile, just honest feedback on an open forum - in addition to the fact that my current 'entertainment center' is my tv on an old marine corps trunk).... it appears you executed your design very well and the craftsmanship and finish are very nice. Thanks for sharing -

Craig D Peltier
10-20-2007, 1:17 AM
First of all, very nice piece. That said, hope you don't mind honest feedback. I wish the drawers had some type of pulls and think you could have had more overhang on your top aesthetically. The other thing is I don't see the point to an entertainment center where you can't hide your cable box, etc. Those things said(and please don't take any of it as hostile, just honest feedback on an open forum - in addition to the fact that my current 'entertainment center' is my tv on an old marine corps trunk).... it appears you executed your design very well and the craftsmanship and finish are very nice. Thanks for sharing -

Client is putting Restoration Hardware Antique bronzed pulls on draws. Most of the time I never know what they want an thye have something they want exactly and they're usually a quite a few miles away to go pick them up from them.I will install on site if they want.
I did tell them that I left the fabric so as it could come out an glass could still be put in or solid wood.So I left that idea fresh in there mind.
The unit was made so they didnt have to see the wires from their plasma. I also built the bottom draw 2 inches shorter so wires could pass behind it through a 1.5 inch passage holes in between partitions.
The doors come out 3/4 inch and top 1/2 over that. I built it per there specs.Thye wanted it a very specific size an depth.When I moved it in there must of been only 1/8 inch between tv an top of unit.

Todd Jensen
10-20-2007, 7:23 AM
Gotcha; and I didn't realize the piece was 'made to order'. I also want to add that your piece(among others I've seen here) is turning me into a cherry convert - what a beautiful wood. Thanks again for sharing your craftsmanship.