PDA

View Full Version : Why do people destroy trucks?

Ed Garrett
10-18-2007, 8:11 PM
Why do people destroy trucks???

The pictured truck is “Rupert,” my trusty 1979 F-100. I kept Rupert in perfect condition for 27 years and logged every cost and repair on a spreadsheet. My kids grew up with Rupert and refused to ride in our more civilized cars because Rupert had seats bolted into the bed facing backward. Rupert’s hood ornament was a genuine Mack Bulldog from my wife’s grandfather’s oil truck in WWII. Rupert was my first car purchase. My wife and I bought it with cash a few days after our wedding. We camped in it, made many moves with it, and I figured that as long as we stayed married, we’d have Rupert.

I recently inherited a practically new truck, so on a moment’s notice I placed Rupert in my next door neighbor’s garage sale. It was running like brand new. Sure enough, somebody bought it and took over the spreadsheet. I figured if they liked it enough to buy it, they would want to keep it in good shape…

A few weeks ago I found myself next to Rupert in traffic. It was covered in mud and dents of every shape and size. The tailgate was smashed and covered in paint. The muffler was gone so it sounded like backhoe. The Mack Bulldog wasn’t only missing, but there were two gaping holes in the hood where it had probably been pried out.

I know it’s no longer mine, but it makes me wonder why people would be so destructive???

Charles Wiggins
10-18-2007, 8:51 PM
Of course, you don't know that the owner did all that. I had a friend in college who had her car stolen and the thieves beat it half to death before the police recovered it in the projects. Her dad drove it for three weeks while they shopped for a replacement.

I had another friend who bought a beautiful '69 Olds 98 with 60k on the odo for $100. He was 18 years old and full of beans, and he had ragged it out in a year. He got it stuck off the side of an old logging road with a tree about a foot from each bumper. The property's owner said he'd sue if we cut the trees. I got another friend to tow it out, but not without dragging the passenger side down the side of the tree (crunch!).

My own truck has been hit numerous times - none of which were my fault - and it had a bad paint job that peeled. Now that I could repair it, it's just not worth it.

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2007, 9:14 PM
I don't know either Ed....but this ol' boy sure could have used that yard sale truck and would have been proud to take over the spreadsheet. ;) :D

glenn bradley
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I wish I'd a been at the garage sale too. Rupert sounds like the truck of my dreams. May he limp in peace.

Mike Cutler
10-19-2007, 5:22 AM
Folks today seem to have a "disposable" mentality about things. Trash it, toss it, get another one. Sad really

It's too bad, that was a fine lookin' truck you had there.

Rich Engelhardt
10-19-2007, 7:31 AM
Hello Ed,
It's not only trucks - it's pretty much any and every thing people get either:
- At a bargin
- For free
- W/out expending a lot of effort.
- That they feel "doesn't belong to them" - rental cars. rentals in general and to no small degree - leased vehicles.

One of my pet theories about "road rage" is that it's root is in the huge increase of leased vs purchased vehicles.
(I drive quite a bit for my job. I often speculate as I'm driving as to whether or not the person driving liike a "goof-ball" is driving a leased or purchased vehicle.)

In 1984/1985 I sold cars/trucks for a living. Leased cars/trucks back then were few few. Something like 30 to 1 if I recall correctly.
Now two decades later, It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers were reversed.

Anyhow - I feel for you about the truck.
I had an '87 Toyota that I babied for a long time.
We "sold" it to my son 2 years ago. ( have yet to see a penny of it)
It had about 40K miles on it.
Within 2 years it was reduced to being sold "as-is"/not running and quite beat up for $200.00.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Ed, sorry to hear about Rupert.

When I enlisted in the Navy in '68, I had "Melba" my '64 SS Impala convertible. I sold her to one of my drinking buddies. Big mistake. A few months later, my wife took me by his house. There she sat, totaled.....He, under the influence, of course, hit a parked Caddy at 65+ mph.:(

Brian Weick
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
really,
that is awful ~ Just goes to show how some peope have no respect for those, such as yourself, that have spent time/money to maintain a truck so well. My heart goes out to Rupert and you :(
Brian

Ed Garrett
10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Dennis, Glenn:

If either one of you lived next door I would have gladly given you the truck (or traded it for router bit or the like...) rather than put it in your garage sale.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Jeffrey Makiel
10-19-2007, 2:33 PM
Folks today seem to have a "disposable" mentality about things. Trash it, toss it, get another one. Sad really

It's too bad, that was a fine lookin' truck you had there.

Worth repeating.

When my brothers and I were kids 35+ years ago, we waxed and polished our bicycles with our friends. Then cruised the neighborhood. After all, a new bike was a very big deal for us and our parents. We never left them in the rain nor ghost rode them.

Now...a kid gets a bike, slams it around and then tosses it in the backyard. If it breaks, mommy will buy a new one...and maybe even a better one if little Joey did good at soccer practice. Then they get a drivers license and the process advances.

Wonderous values have been taught these past two decades. A disposable soceity indeed.

-Jeff :)

Jude Kingery
10-19-2007, 3:12 PM
Jeff has a good point, "throw-away society." My husband and I were raised by "Depression Era" parents and we learned the value of fixing, repairing and taking care of things so they last. Our '93 Chevy pickup has been used, well used, but well cared for so it's still going strong! Although one little scrape and the windshield does have a crack, but that's West Texas dirt roads and gravel, happens sometimes. There is, however, a LOT to be said for taking care of things and not just buying new all the time. Jude

Mike Henderson
10-19-2007, 7:20 PM
I used to do that - keep a journal on each car, that is. I'd log the repairs(which I did myself) and all the maintenance such as oil changes. On cars that I did major work on, I'd measure all the journals, the cylinders, etc. and put that in the journal so I could tell how much wear occurred if I ever tore it down again. When I'd sell the car, I'd give the log to the buyer.

I never was able to find out if any of the buyers kept the log up.

I gave up journaling when I quit doing all my own repairs. The dealer keeps a record of all the maintenance and repairs so I (or a buyer) can get a complete record, if desired.

Mike

Greg Cole
10-20-2007, 9:59 AM
Ed,
I feel your pain. My first vehicle was a truck inherited from Dad. I loved that truck to death.... affectionately known as Big Blue to this day. All my friends from that era still associate me with it too.
Unfortunately I convinced myself to part ways with her... I sold her to a seemingly nice guy. Bout 2 months after selling my dear old friend (who'd been in our family for over a decade), I saw her at a stop light. The bed had been removed (and I had the whole truck painted 6 months before selling :mad: ) and the truck bed was a Beverly Hill Billy looking bunch of wooden box-cubicles for hauling sled dogs.
The only consolation I have about Big Blue is that she made moved to Alaska... one of the few states I've always wanted to see and haven't made it there...yet. Although I am sure that 1985 F150 is long gone, when I go to Alaska... she'll be on my mind.

Greg