PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton Coring

Tom Bucanan
10-18-2007, 7:38 PM
Can the McNaughton system for coring be used on 24" lathes? If so, what knifes should I get for the system?

Brodie Brickey
10-18-2007, 7:45 PM
Tom,

I have a PM (20 inch swing), I don't have any problems with the McNaughton System. I did have to get the longer post for it.

The standard set will support bowls up to 16" in diameter depending on how deep you are going. The larger knives will be needed for greater diameter.

The important thing about the system is that your knife point must be horizontally centered on the blank. If not there will be a lot of issues.

Tom Bucanan
10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I saw that it will fit the 20" lathe, but I was wondering if anyone with any of the bigger lathes could use the McNaughton system. If not, what do you use to core bowls?

Brodie Brickey
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
At the 2003 AAW Symposium one of the demonstrators was coring on a 2436 Oneway. If you're really interested call Cutting Edge Tools (www.cuttingedgetools.com (http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/)) Ph: 713 981 9228 or 800 790 7980.
I've purchased McNaughton and various tools over the years from him and he's been very knowledgeable. Craft Supplies also carries the tool.

Steven Russell
10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Hello Tom,

I'm a production bowl turner and I have all five sets (mini, standard, jumbo and standard left and jumbo left) of the McNaughton coring knives. I've cored thousands and thousands of bowls using them on a Oneway 2436. You need to get the tall tool post, but the system can easily adapt to 24" lathes.

For a 24" lathe, the standard and jumbo sets would be a good choice to purchase, unless you want to core smaller bowls as well, then I would add the mini set. I have a great article on my website about how to use the McNaughton Centre Saver to core bowls that you might want to read. Kel McNaughton also has one of my early articles on using his system on his website as well.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to help you. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell

Hilel Salomon
10-19-2007, 1:04 PM
Steven,
I've seen two of your demonstrations and they are outstanding. Even bought a dvd set from you. I'm told that you also go into the McNaughton hollower in detail. Could you tell me which dvd includes that.
Thanks, Hilel Salomon

Reed Gray
10-20-2007, 1:20 AM
The McNaughton will fit on any lathe that you can get their tool rest on. You can remove a core up to about 18 inch diameter. You are limited by the knife size, not the lathe. This is also about the biggest core you can take with the Oneway system. I did see in one book where a guy cored a bowl that was about 30 inch daimeter by making plunge cuts with a chainsaw. Don't try that at home!!!
robo hippy

Steven Russell
10-20-2007, 9:11 AM
Hello Hilel,

I do not currently have a DVD video that covers use of the Kelton Hollowers, but it's in the works. We hope to shoot it next year, possibly in early to mid summer.

Right now were working on several sharpening videos and a couple of project videos. We have five videos planned for 2008, so it should be a fun year! :D :D

If you have any specific questions about using the centre saver or the hollowers, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have almost every tool Kel McNaughton has made in the last 12 years, so I can probably assist you with any questions, or setups. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell