PDA

View Full Version : paint that is safe to laser

Paul Brinkmeyer
10-18-2007, 4:44 PM
I want to paint some items and then laser.
Most are glass based but some are metal.
What type of paint is safe?
Are there any paints that are NO-NO's?
FYI, I'm just looking to see what affects I can get and want to leave the paint on the item.

Joe Pelonio
10-18-2007, 4:58 PM
I know of no paint containing PVC which would be bad. Some have odd ingredients that I would not try without checking the MSDS like that "hammer finish" paint.

I have lasered automotive, oil based, latex, Krylon and Rustoleum, ACE and off brand borg spray paints, all with no problem. Also some of the textured paints for faux finishes. I have even engraved while the paint was still wet (focus ahead of time).

Sam Gardner
10-19-2007, 1:32 AM
Along these same lines I have a question on wood sealers. There is something called chlorinated rubber sealer which can be used on wood. How safe is it to laser through this coating as it contains the dreaded chlorine or is the film so thin as to be negligible? Some food for thought.

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2007, 8:10 AM
For what it's worth, the regional rep stopped by the place a couple of days ago and in casual conversation he mentioned he was coming from a place where their machine had burned up (caught on fire) due to them using a paint that was flammable (sp?) and trying to burn through it. I didn't ask for the details, but I believe he said they had done this on two machines, so apparently it is possible. Not sure what kind of paint they are using.

Mike Null
10-19-2007, 8:30 AM
With limited experience at lasering painted items I have had no problems. I do laser substantial lacquered brass for awards with no problem as well. Also all the plaques have a lacquer or varnish finish.

Gary Hair
10-19-2007, 12:09 PM
For what it's worth, the regional rep stopped by the place a couple of days ago and in casual conversation he mentioned he was coming from a place where their machine had burned up (caught on fire) due to them using a paint that was flammable (sp?) and trying to burn through it. I didn't ask for the details, but I believe he said they had done this on two machines, so apparently it is possible. Not sure what kind of paint they are using.

Unless the paint was wet it shouldn't be any more of a problem than anything else we laser. Everything that is laserable is flammable, it wouldn't laser otherwise.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2007, 12:26 PM
That's what I would have thought, but apparently this is the second machine they have torched due to the type of paint they are using.

Mike Mackenzie
10-19-2007, 1:09 PM
You might think they would not leave the system UN attended after TWO fires.