PDA

View Full Version : Just in case safety is not your first concern

Brian Brown
10-18-2007, 2:07 PM
I found this lathe listed on Craigs list. If you buy this, you might want to get a haircut and shave before you use it. The listing read:

"I have a very nice SouthBend 9" Junior model lathe (also known as the "heavy" 9, as it's built on the wider ways of the heavy 10 model) It includes a 5" faceplate/dogplate, an 8" 4 jaw chuck, drill chucks for both ends, dead centers for both ends, a very hard to find steady rest, left, right, and cutoff tool holders, and a rocker-type toolpost. The lathe runs good, and has only moderate wear on the ways. Would consider trade for a Benchmaster mill, also."

I beleive in working safe and using good common sense, but I'm not one to panic and go overboard. However, this one made me do a double take. It sure is a good thing cover plates came along. Maybe modern lathes do have some advantages over the old machines. Enjoy the pics.

Brian

Jonathan Harvey
10-18-2007, 2:18 PM
Looks 100% safe to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Jon Lanier
10-18-2007, 4:06 PM
I don't get it. What is so unsafe about it? :eek:

Dusty Fuller
10-18-2007, 4:54 PM
'Tis safer as a conversation piece.

DF

EDDIE GLAZE
10-18-2007, 5:40 PM
Whats Wrong ????????? No Pully Or Belt Gaurds. Things Can Get Hung Up Pritty Quick.

Jason Roehl
10-18-2007, 5:53 PM
Don't stick things that don't play nice with belts near the belts. Ever work on a running car engine?