PDA

View Full Version : Newb introduction and question - Memphis

Luke Hill
10-18-2007, 1:37 PM
I figure I better come out of lurking status and start getting into the mix on this forum.

For years, I have been amazed at what some people can do with a piece of wood and some tools, and I always told myself that once I got done with my schooling, I would get into ww.

I am in the process of building up my tools, and have bought several items. The items I have: skil saw, radial arm, miter box, jig saw, sander, and various other hand tools. I am currently looking for a good plunge router, and a good band saw. Since I just finished school, my biggest problem is funding, so the router and band saw may be put on hold for a little while, unless I can find a deal that is too good to pass up.

Because the funds are tight, any suggestions on projects that I can start on that would allow me to get my feet wet with the limited tools that I have? I am thinking about doing a small rocking chair for my kid, or possibly start with an adirondack chair or something. I thought I would get your all's suggestions as to what would be a good first project for someone in my situation.

This is my first post to the forum, so, hello everybody!

Grant Morris
10-18-2007, 2:21 PM
I think your first order of business should be to build yourself a decent worktable.

Check Craigslist for people getting rid of old furniture and lumber scraps for free, you might get yourself some useable wood for next to nothing...

Michael McCoy
10-18-2007, 2:31 PM
Peachtree Woodworking Supply has a limited number of the 3 1/4 HP plunge routers left on sale for $119. Good price on a good router

Nancy Laird
10-18-2007, 3:16 PM
Welcome to SMC, Luke. Jump right in and get your feet wet--the tadpoles and bullfrogs don't bite your toes too hard.

I agree on building a workbench, with a decent vise on it. You might also check the flea markets and yard sales for some tools at decent prices.

(Slight hijack: I grew up in West Tennessee and lived in Memphis. What part of the city do you live in? My family still lives up in Obion County. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.)

Nancy (64 days)

Larry Crim
10-18-2007, 3:30 PM
Luke don't forget the garage sales I find a lot of good deals early in the morning in the memphis area for hand planes, chisels and have seen plenty on routers. Also there has been a couple of 14" bandsaws on the local craigslist recently. that vintage delta looked interesting might be a little expensive but there was also a 14 " with extra blades available for 50 bucks not sure if it is still available.

larry

Danny Thompson
10-18-2007, 4:52 PM
Luke,

I am also in Memphis and a newbie. I recently built a bench to sit under my front window. Very simple, really. I got the wood--a nice plank of 8/4 Padauk from Colco Fine Woods on Jackson, near Hollywood--and did the rest with my table saw (circular saw would do), chisels, a block plane with a cambered blade (since I don't own a scrub plane), and a goose-necked scraper.

Another inexpensive project I did this year was simple nightstands, with a shelf instead of drawers. I used maple ply edged with soft maple. Nothing too fancy.

Also, I noticed there is what looks to be a good estate sale in town this weekend. Lots of tools. Go to www.estatesales.net (http://www.estatesales.net/), navigate to Memphis, and select "my biggest sale yet"....Charlotte's Estate Sales. But I've got dibs on the jointer.

Best of luck.

Luke Hill
10-19-2007, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a table coming from my old man. We are putting it together this weekend.

Danny, if that jointer doesn't work out, I know a guy that has a brand new one that seemed like a good deal. I might have to try making it to that sale, might run into each other...!

Paul Hendrickson
10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Wow, I must say hang on to your wallet with both hands; it's gonna be a bumpy ride. That being said, it will be worth it.

Definitely workbench first. There are great ideas all over. The key is not to over think it, because you will inevitably build others.

Adirondack chair would also be a great starter project as you could easily do that with what you have on hand. Nothing like finishing your first project.

The first thing I ever built on my own was a computer desk. At the time, I only had a cheapie black & decker circular saw and and even cheaper b&d jigsaw. Ten years later, that computer desk now sits in the shop, flaws and all. It has been used everyday since it was built.

Welcome and good luck.
Paul