PDA

View Full Version : Moving an 80 Gallon Compressor

Rob Diz
10-18-2007, 1:35 PM
I have pretty much purchased a used 80 gallon compressor. Now "all" I have to to is move it.

I believe the CI beast weighs in at around 400 pounds.

I have a few steps down to negotiate.

Will I be able to move it with a Fridge dolly and some straps?

It is currently sitting on what I think is a rubber isolation pad. I was thinking about just scooping under that pad, and rolling it on out?

Any issues so far?

My next trick will be getting it in my Ford Explorer. Can two people manage to tip a such a large beast gracefully forward (or at least so it doesn't crash into my bumper) to get it into the car? Any suggestions here would be helpful.

I'm also wondering about how to get it out of the car. I was thinking that I could leaving it hanging out of the rear end (I have a very short drive and can lash it down) which would only leave a bit of pulling to get it out. Again, can two men - of regular strength - manage.

Thanks for your help.

brian lanning
10-18-2007, 1:57 PM
I have pretty much purchased a used 80 gallon compressor. Now "all" I have to to is move it.

I believe the CI beast weighs in at around 400 pounds.

I have a few steps down to negotiate.

Will I be able to move it with a Fridge dolly and some straps?

It is currently sitting on what I think is a rubber isolation pad. I was thinking about just scooping under that pad, and rolling it on out?

Any issues so far?

My next trick will be getting it in my Ford Explorer. Can two people manage to tip a such a large beast gracefully forward (or at least so it doesn't crash into my bumper) to get it into the car? Any suggestions here would be helpful.

I'm also wondering about how to get it out of the car. I was thinking that I could leaving it hanging out of the rear end (I have a very short drive and can lash it down) which would only leave a bit of pulling to get it out. Again, can two men - of regular strength - manage.

Thanks for your help.

I have an 80 gallon compressor. It's the porter cable C7550. And it's about like the one you describe. I recently moved my shop from one garage to another garage about a mile away. I used an open uhaul trailer and a harbor freight engine hoist. I ran straps under the rectangular steel welded to the tank, then lifted it about a foot off the ground, enough to clear the trailer. Then tied it to the sides of the trailer standing upright. Just throw the engine hoist into the trailer with the compressor.

Since the engine hoist is on casters, I could move it around easily. I also moved some of my heavier tools like the 15" planer this way. Worked great.

I didn't have to negotiate any steps though. If I had to do that, I would probably have used an appliance dolly. I've moved large refrigerators out of the backs of moving trucks by myself that way. You can also rent those from the same uhaul place.

The compressor is a bit of an awkward shape though. You might want to try bolting a square piece of plywood to the feet. If you make the plywood the same width as the diameter of the tank, that would help to stabilize it on the dolly. Obviously use the strap to hold it down. I'd throw a blanket over it also to protect the paint on the tank. I'd get the uhaul trailer and pull it with your explorer also. They're cheap to rent for the day, $29 iirc. And you wouldn't have to tip it over.

If you do tip it over, make sure the oil doesn't run out. If it does run out, make sure you refill it before running it.

I muscled it around by myself to get it into position in the new garage. But it was upright. It's a bit top heavy, so be careful. I'd have an extra person handy. I bet you'd have a real hard time controlling it while tipping on its side, even with two people.

brian

Stan Welborn
10-18-2007, 1:58 PM
The appliance dolly will work. That's how I moved mine into the shop. Be careful though. It's a top heavy beast. As far as moving it with an Explorer. Holy Crap!

Might be worth getting someone to video the loading/unloading for AFV.

dave barnhart
10-18-2007, 3:37 PM
Explorer? Best is the low riding trailer (U-haul). Don't lift if you don't have to. And trailers were meant to take dents and scrapes. Wife & I bought a Highlander and my accessory (to keep it clean) is a nice 4x8 trailer.

David Epperson
10-18-2007, 3:42 PM
If I was going to have to do something like this alone, I would seriously consider unmounting the motor and compressor from the tank first. The tank could then lay down for transport and would not be near as top heavy. But that's just me thinkin' again. :D

Greg Peterson
10-18-2007, 3:49 PM
My shop is on the same grade as my driveway. You shouldn't have any problem moving it into my shop. Let me know when to be home so that I can open the door for you. :D

Rick Levine
10-18-2007, 6:25 PM
I didn't bother to read all the posts, just wanted to get this message to you fast. I moved a PC 80gal compressor recently and it was a bear! Even the new ones have oil in them and it is not advisable to lay them down to move. Rent a trailer or truck and keep it up right. Also, I bought (you can rent if you prefer) a heavy duty dolly. I got mine from Sam's Club for about $70. Lash it to the dolly and be sure to have at least two others helping you. I did and one of the guys tripped on a step and it fell over on him. He is about 6' 4" and weighs about 350 lbs. and there were two of us that supported it so he wasn't hurt but it did slightly damage one of the motor cooling fins and took out a chunk of the door frame. So be careful!

Mike Langford
10-18-2007, 6:54 PM
Rick's warning/concerns about laying the compressor on it's side is good advice!........But if your only option is laying it on it's side (even for short distances) then,when you get it to your shop make sure you Do Not start up the compressor for a minimum of 24 hrs (or more!) so that any oil that may have got past the rings has time to drain back into the crankcase!

I like David's suggestion about removing the motor and compressor from the tank too!!

Enjoy your new 80 gallon toy! :D

Jim Nardi
10-18-2007, 8:23 PM
I'd take the compressor off the tank. Only the matter of a gasket to put it back.

Jason Beam
10-18-2007, 9:12 PM
I have a 60gal one that I moved with my wife and my HF trailer. My wife won't let me forget it, but we got it done. It moved okay with a dolly, but I would have liked an appliance cart with straps. I can move it myself if I walk it on it's three feet.

Oh, we laid it down on it's side in the trailer and strapped it down. Two years ago and I haven't seen any problems so it must not be a problem.

David G Baker
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
If and when I get a bigger compressor I will have to shop at a store that has a fork lift so they can set the compressor into my pick-up bed. I have a tractor with a front end loader so I should be okay when I get it home.