PDA

View Full Version : Poly-Bagging the AAW Journal

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I’ve just posted this on the AAW forum. For those AAW members that don’t routinely visit the AAW forum, I’m also posting it here:

One of my pet projects as an AAW board member has been to encourage non-AAW club members to join the AAW. A few people have actually questioned the need for more members. Here is just one small example of why additional members (additional financial strength) is a good thing. Several times over the past few years, I have read forum complaints by members regarding the physical condition of their journal after its journey through the US mail system. A year ago, I proposed that we start “poly-bagging” every issue (not just the fall issue). My proposal failed to be approved due to the extra cost (fiscal responsibility). A stronger bank balance would have probably made a difference. I am considering the renewal of my proposal once again, but before doing so, I thought that I’d ask for membership comments. I don’t have the time to set-up a formal survey, so as a way to gauge the importance of this issue, I ask this question. If it meant a $.30 increase in your annual dues would you vote to “poly-bag” every issue? (Note: don’t panic - there is no increase in dues being considered.)

Don Orr
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
An intact Journal would be worth a few cents more to me. Luckily, I don't usually have a problem though. The USPS usually does a darn good job in spite of what a lot of people think.

Benjamin Dahl
10-18-2007, 1:22 PM
I don't like the idea of polybagging since it would be more waste for the landfills.

Doug M Jones
10-18-2007, 1:36 PM
Malcom
Could it be wrapped in plain kraft paper then I could wrap a bowl in it. I just joined and got 3 issues at once, I'd hate to have it come bunged up. I would cover the wrapping cost for my issues.

Frank Kobilsek
10-18-2007, 2:11 PM
Malcom

I would place the Poly bag idea in second position to the 6 issues per year idea. Let the dues go up $10 for 50% more reading material. I think Carl does a great job with the Journal and I doubt it would be a challenge to generate content for increased issues per year.

PS: A collector of woodturning was kind enough to add about a dozen pieces from his collection to the instant gallery at OVWG Turning 2007 Symposium this past weekend which included a couple of your pieces. They were a real treat to see first hand. The pictures don't do them justice.

Frank

Ron McKinley
10-18-2007, 7:44 PM
Yes, I would pay a $.30 cent increase in dues for poly-bagging but my magazine has never been damaged in the mail. Lucky I guess......Ron

Terry Quiram
10-18-2007, 8:00 PM
What makes this magazine so special that it costs $11.25 per issue? If it wasn't a requirement of my club to belong to the AAW I would never spend $45 for 1 years membership. In answer to your question, I would not pay extra for a plastic bag.

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-18-2007, 8:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear... In no way would I support an increase in dues in order to pay for the bagging. I only asked the question in that way in order to gauge the level of passion for the bags. The annual dues are already too high in my opinion.

Bill Stevener
10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
For what it's worth. I don't belong to the AAW, but do belong to another organization for 35+ years. I receive a monthly news journal, additionally a bi-monthly technical journal, plus a yearly members manual. That's a total of about 660 + publications and I have never received one, with even as much as a smudge or a wrinkled page - Note: no cover. I have read about the problems some members are having with the AAW publications arriving in an unrecognisable state.
I believe one would benefit greatly, by looking into why. Additionally, I am sure, that for $45.00 a year the AAW could publish a monthly journal which would undoubtedly be a great asset towards increasing the membership, much more than a plastic bag would.