PDA

View Full Version : Scaned Images to Vector File in Corel???

Mark Koenig
10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I purchased some wood working plans and would like to know if there is an easy way to scan the paper plans into the computer and then convert them to vector files in Corel for the laser???

Or do I need to import them into Corel and use them for reference and re-draw the outlines???

Thanks Mark.

Phil Sanders
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
When you scan in an image, you are creating (usually) a bit map image of the original.

There is some minor differences, but:
unleash.com (just add the http:// and the www to the front) has lots of tutorials for Corel Draw.

Look for "Converting a Bitmap Logo to Vector in CorelDraw" by Foster.

Could be about 100 video training at that site. Mostly for graphic artist.

Phil

Phil Sanders
10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Also,
this site for training:
advancedartist.com (again, add the www to the front.)

look for "logo to Clean Vector"
advancedartist.com/vectortrace.html

There are (were) some CorelDraw videos at YouTube, but I cannot find them now.

Phil

Ed Maloney
10-18-2007, 3:32 PM
Here's a low tech literal cut & paste approach. I had some woodworking plans (from Wood magazine) for a small project (table top holiday decorations) from years ago that I did on my bandsaw. Came across the paper cut-outs the other day and saw it would be a great application for the laser. So I taped the cut-outs one by one directly onto my monitor and used Corel to hand trace the template. Had to do some sizing adjustments, but it came out great.

Mike Golka
10-18-2007, 5:09 PM
Have you tried Corels "trace" feature. I have played with it a bit for making vector based patterns for my CNC with some success.

Bill Cunningham
10-18-2007, 9:28 PM
Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .. Once into corel, make all the trace lines hairlines. Using This method, I was able to convert a couple of scroll saw files from a library book, and make a nice little nicknack (jumping dolphins) for the fireplace which my daughter then claimed and took home.. Never had a chance to make another yet..

Lee DeRaud
10-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .IIRC, the 'centerline' option is missing from the (built-in) X3 trace function. The good news is, if you upgraded from Corel 12, the standalone CorelTrace program is still on your disk (or can be reinstalled). The bad news is, if you bought X3 as your first Corel...

Mark Koenig
10-19-2007, 9:36 AM
IIRC, the 'centerline' option is missing from the (built-in) X3 trace function. The good news is, if you upgraded from Corel 12, the standalone CorelTrace program is still on your disk (or can be reinstalled). The bad news is, if you bought X3 as your first Corel...

Bad news as usual... Started on X3

Mark Koenig
10-19-2007, 9:37 AM
Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .. Once into corel, make all the trace lines hairlines. Using This method, I was able to convert a couple of scroll saw files from a library book, and make a nice little nicknack (jumping dolphins) for the fireplace which my daughter then claimed and took home.. Never had a chance to make another yet..

Thanks... I give it a shot later this weekend.

Bill Cunningham
10-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Unfortunatly, when corel does do a upgrade, they leave out some good stuff from previous versions.. I upgraded from 8 to 12, and lost two good functions.. Corel8 paint had a 'open low res' function, and would open your files in 640 x 480 for posting on forums and such. You can still resample, but this was automatic.. It may still be in 9, 10, and 11, but it's not in 12 anymore.. Also, Trace8 had one of the best built in optical text readers/converters I have seen.. Just scan in a text page at 300 dpi, and convert it into digital text for editing, posting, changing fonts, whatever.. Thats why I keep both those version on my old computer.. Ya just hate to give up some of the previous good stuff..