PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing quandary - lowest bidder?

Nathan Conner
10-18-2007, 9:18 AM
I'll try to keep this short and simple.

We've been having internet issues for a week, and Qwest was unable to diagnose the problem after 5 visits. Finally, the Qwest guy and I crawled under my 15-year-old 2000 sf single-story house to discover Niagra Falls in the crawlspace. We have all copper plumbing, and are on a well with enough acidity that it's destroying the copper. There are at least 15, maybe 20 pinholes everywhere in the copper. So, that was the DSL issue, water in the phone lines, and we've got some SERIOUS plumbing problems.

Our neighbor had this same issue last year, similarly aged house, and we share the well. He paid $2500 to get his two-story house re-plumbed. I called 17 plumbers yesterday, got 3 to come out to give bids. The others weren't interested in crawlspace work.

The first guy to come out was an expensive but recommended local company. He didn't even look under the house, just looked around inside, and commented that there was a lot of work. I mentioned my $2500 price objective, and he shook his head, and said, "You're closer to $3,000 on this one". No problem. We can deal with that, but it's gonna hurt. He said he'd get back to me on the bid.

The second guy comes out - has a look, and I mention the ballpark price the first guy was looking at. He hissed through his teeth, shook his head, shook my hand, and said, "Good luck." as he left. Next guy, same thing - I mentioned the price, he crawled around underneath, and told me, "If you can get it done for that, go for it. I can't touch this for $3,000." And he left, too.

So, I'm left with the single bid, it comes back later in the day not at $3,000, but at $3,950. (*grrrr*) I told them I'd think about it. Here's where it gets touchy. They said they'd send a guy out to repair the issues TODAY and get us so we're not leaking, then send a crew of 5 out next Friday and replace everything from the pipe coming in to each of the faucets...absolutely everything. So, we'd be taken care of right now, and they'll stand behind their work.

My wife insisted that I call her dad. I did, he recommended a guy who he said, "Does great work." So, I call this guy Bob, and explain the situation. He knows Steve, the guy with the only bid I have, and says, "Ok, I'll do the job next Thursday and Friday for an even $2,000...cash." After some discussion, he agrees to come out tomorrow and have a look at the job, first, but says he knows Steve, and knows what he gets paid, and he's willing to take less. They get supplies from the same place, so parts aren't an issue. Sounds like Bob's willing to do the same job, minus the repair work. He'll just come fix it all next week. He just needs $500 for materials. I explain that it's not a problem, and I can cut him a check Friday for materials, and he said, "Actually, that's a problem. I really need cash only." Oh, ok.

So, Bob seems like a nice guy, and the price sounds right, but am I just BEGGING FOR TROUBLE? I don't Bob from Adam, the FIL has been mildly ok with recommendations, but not a perfect record. Bob says he's a licensed and bonded plumber, but how do I check that out? Gees, this whole thing is making me crazy. $1950 savings is $1950 in the pocket. That'd buy me a hell of a nice shaper or a truckload of nice hardwood.

I'm really, really losing sleep over this. On the one hand I can take the risk and save the cash, but is it going to cost me WAY more in the long run if something goes south, or if he "hurts his back" and sues me, or if he doesn't show up for day two and we're left without water, or if...or if...

Any opinions? I need to make a decision fast so I can get on the schedule, and meanwhile, the crawlspace is filling with water, and there's no functional shutoff valve I can use without turning off my neighbor, too. (That's job number 1 for either plumber - install a shutoff)

Help!

David G Baker
10-18-2007, 9:36 AM
Nathan,
You do not have a location on your information. The cost of the plumbing varies from state to state.
If acidic water is your problem make sure that your new work is a plastic product like PEX.
I live in Mid Michigan and am having a 200 amp main power drop up grade to my two story house. 90% of the work is exterior and 30% of the work and the drop wire is being supplied by the utility at no cost. The job is going to cost me $1,325. Using that figure and subtracting $325 for parts, the labor is going to cost me $1000. Your re-plumbing job is going to be considerably more labor intensive than my electrical work. $3000 for a complete re-plumbing of a two story house does not sound out of line. If you are nervous about your FIL's recommendation pay the $$$ and go with the company that you know is the most qualified. Pay your $$$ now or you will be paying for it again in the future.

Jim Becker
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I do agree with David that $3K + isn't not out of line for the apparent amount of work to be done. The cash deal with the other fellow is simply because he wants to do it off the books. Many small and/or part time contractors try to do that because it's a tax dodge. The issue for you isn't the money...it's the need for a contract to protect you as well as proper documentation (licenses/insurance proof) as well as references.

As to the copper...by all means, if your locality will allow it, consider switching to PEX. (I wanted to do that for our addition because we also have the acid water issue, but our township actually has an ordinance on the books that requires copper for water supply and will not approve any other material. :( ) It may cost you a little more up-front, but you'll not be replacing it in the future for the same issue. And you won't have to consider expensive acid neutralization and subsequent softening with it's sodium issues to preserve your copper like we do at this point...

Greg Peterson
10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Speaking to the cash part of your inquiry, what Jim says seems reasonable. If the guy works in the area and is recommended by someone you trust, I'd say you probably won't have a problem.

You don't indicate what the materials will be used in replacement, so I'll throw my two cents in.

I converted from galvanized to PEX earlier this year. Single story ranch with ample crawl space (actually, I can stand up under most of it). Took one really long day, but no looking back. Couldn't believe the difference in water velocity and reduced noise.

PEX = Inexpensive, easy to work with (installs quickly), can be buried, easy to 'add' water circuits and is very quiet. Permanent installs can not be exposed to direct sunlight.

Copper = Expensive, easier work with than galvanized, fairly quiet, sunlight does not affect it.

If PEX is within code, go for it.

Matt Meiser
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Can you get the guy to give you some other references? Assuming the guy has a buisiness, you should be able to research him with the BBB to see if he's had complaints and your state probably knows if he's licensed.

He probably wants cash to keep it under the table with no records. That means no contract, which could come back to bite you later.

And I agree on the PEX! Though all the Pex fittings are brass and not totally immune to the acid issue. They are much thicker though so probably would last several times as long as copper. If you are reasonably handy, this could be a DIY job with PEX. You should be able to rent the crimper pretty cheap. My local hadware store charges $5/day. That and a utility knife are pretty much all you need.

Nathan Conner
10-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Yup, PEX is cool in our area (Southwestern Washington state), and we're definitely going with it.

Seems like it may be best to go with the "reputable" guy, who even the cheap guy said was fantastic. The cheap guy has had a license since '87 (I looked it up) but the company he was with was cited 11 times last year (at $1000 each violation) for unlicensed work and/or workers. So...may not be such reputable work, even if he hasn't had any personal complaints...

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Lee Schierer
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
It sounds like Bob is planning on running this job off the books, including those of Uncle Sam and the governor. Whether you want ot participate in this is up to you. As long as you get a written warranty and description of the work along with a firm completion date it should be okay. My experience is most off the books jobs are okay and you get what you pay for, but they can be tricky to resolve if things go badly or the job doesn't get completed.

Nathan Conner
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Naah. The job sounds too fishy. I've talked to several people, and you guys have confirmed my suspicions. He doesn't want a contract, which scares me. He wants cash only, which scares me more, and, of course, I don't know the guy. If it were a small job that I didn't depend on, I may hire him, but being as it's our whole house, it seems smart to go with the respectable, reliable guy who'll stand behind a contract.

So, we'll spend the cash and get the good contractor with proven record, and sleep well at night. I think it's well worth it to not have to worry about this again for many years to come.

David G Baker
10-18-2007, 3:07 PM
Nathan,
I think you have chosen the best route. Good luck.

Chris Damm
10-19-2007, 9:06 AM
Why on earth would you tell another bidder the price the 1st one gave you? That's a big mistake if you are trying to get bids. With your water problem it sounds like you might be better off going with PEX for your piping.

Nathan Conner
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Over the years, I've found that I get better bids if people have an idea of what the other bids are. I know, I know, it's completely unintuitive, but a) I don't want to waste anyone's time, especially mine b) I know what labor costs (prevailing in this county, anyhow) and parts are, c) I can fudge on the other bids once in awhile if I'm not in the price range I'd like to be. I have an idea of what I'd like to pay, and when I give guy b an idea of guy a's bid, I get an instant reaction. Either he can't touch the price, or he can beat it, and will. I'm not in this to be cheap, but each time I've done this, the reactions have been both surprise, and better prices.

Works like a charm, though it shouldn't, logically.