PDA

View Full Version : table top

tom chapman
10-18-2007, 5:38 AM
i have to make a table top . the wood is hickory and it will be 4'x8'and 1 and 1/2 thick . the table will have aprons under it about 3 to 4 inches in from the edge of the table itself . it will have 4 five inch turned legs . if i put cleats on the bottom between the aprons - allowing for movement in the top - is this table going to stay flat i dont want it or or cup or twist. also given the length should i use biscuts for alingment , keeping away from the edges . i will also glue up sub pannels. breadboards are not wanted on the ends-swmbo

thanks for any help
tom

Nate Rogers
10-18-2007, 6:54 AM
Hey,
Just a fare bit of warning...Hickory is extremely unstable and will warp, cup and anything else you can think of...I would attached the top "firmly" to the apron!!

Nate

Micah Carter
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
attaching the top "firmly" to the apron will likely just split the apron when the top moves. Your best bet is to either use quartersawn boards or to glue up the top from 2"-3" strips of hickory and alternate the grain so each strip wants to cup in a different direction.

Jesse Cloud
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey Tom,
Cleats are a good idea, so long as you screw them into slots to allow for wood movement.

One technique I have used for wide tops that move a lot is a connector that screws into the apron and rides in a sliding dovetail slot in the top. Use that for the aprons on the width of the boards. Z-clips or figure 8s in a groove on the other aprons will work fine.

I have also used a center support attached to the aprons and running under the center of the top.

BTW, 4 feet wide is a pretty wide top. Some folks might not be able to reach the center....

Don't forget to post pics!!