PDA

View Full Version : Shop ceiling

daniel lane
10-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Quick question:

I'm about to buy six sheets of 4'x12' drywall for my shop ceiling. I hate drywall. Has anyone used plywood instead?

My concerns are:
(a) noise (I plan to insulate above with fiberglass)
(b) fire (I plan to not have a fire)
(c) finish (I would probably paint both, but the drywall I *could* leave plain)
(d) strength (I plan to hang things from the joists, but could possibly hang light(weight) things from plywood...?)
(e) cost (six 4'x12' sheets = nine 4'x8' sheets, and while 8' < 12', plywood > drywall)

Thoughts?

daniel

Denny Rice
10-18-2007, 2:29 AM
Daniel,

My shop walls and ceiling are drywall and painted white. I was unsure when I decided to this because of things bumping into drywall,ect and I to hate to hang drywall but I am glad I did it. It's very reflective to the lighting I have in the shop, and with the lighting I have there's really not a dark spot in my shop. The other thing I like about drywall is it is very easy to repair if you damage it.

tom chapman
10-18-2007, 6:10 AM
i have a drop ceiling. however in my new shop im going with sheet rock . its more work but worth it in the end. as for hanging things i would run 6 8 10 12" or whatever width of 1/2 inch ply screwed to the ceiling joist and use 12 foot sheet rock between them and have very few seams to mud .you would only have to mud the 4 foot edge of the s/r. i will do the same on my wall - 3/4"x12"x8' ply strips for base board then 12 foot sheetrock on its side then a band of 1/2 or 3/4 ply around the shop on top of the s/r . then go around that with s/r to ceiling. kind of a baseboard - chair rail -crown mld . i came up with this to avoid mud joints and also by screwing the plywood at top or bottom of the wall you can easily run wires later . and the band in the center is where i put my outlets ,strap down dc or air lines . ive also heared of guys screwing 3 inch strips to the bottom of the ceiling joist and then cut 1/4 inch sheet goods and place them up and in between the studs and let them lay on the strips - basicly like a drop ceiling. good luck

tom chapman
10-18-2007, 6:12 AM
i have a drop ceiling. however in my new shop im going with sheet rock . its more work but worth it in the end. as for hanging things i would run 6 8 10 12" or whatever width of 1/2 inch ply screwed to the ceiling joist and use 12 foot sheet rock between them and have very few seams to mud .you would only have to mud the 4 foot edge of the s/r. i will do the same on my wall - 3/4"x12"x8' ply strips for base board then 12 foot sheetrock on its side then a band of 1/2 or 3/4 ply around the shop on top of the s/r . then go around that with s/r to ceiling. kind of a baseboard - chair rail -crown mld . i came up with this to avoid mud joints and also by screwing the plywood at top or bottom of the wall you can easily run wires later . and the band in the center is where i put my outlets ,strap down dc or air lines . ive also heared of guys screwing 3 inch strips to the bottom of the ceiling joist and then cut 1/4 inch sheet goods and place them up and in between the studs and let them lay on the strips - basicly like a drop ceiling. good luck[/quote]

Kyle Kraft
10-18-2007, 7:36 AM
Daniel, I have to chime in with my old mantra....use white pole barn steel on the ceiling. Goes up quickly, lightweight, no taping, sanding, etc. You can pile plenty of insulation on top, reflects light, looks nice, minimal damage when struck (depends on how brutal the strike:D ).