PDA

View Full Version : Makita Drill/Driver Combo Deal??

Jim Eller
10-17-2007, 8:25 PM
I see Home Depot has Makita Model LCT2200W combo pack for $269. It consist of the 18V drill, model BDF452 http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=BDF452HW and the 18V driver, model BTD142 http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=BTD142HW.

These items sell individually at HD for $199 and $214. Packaged separately would of course include one more charger and two more batteries.

So, my real question is, does anyone have any experience with these two products? If so, is this some thing to go for.

At the same time, my local HD has a possible $50 off is you sign up for their commercial credit card($25) and throw the football through the tire thingy($25). That makes the cost of the driver $11 instead of $214 if my math is correct.

Your opinions please.

Jim

Brad Noble
10-17-2007, 8:33 PM
At the same time, my local HD has a possible $50 off is you sign up for their commercial credit card($25) and throw the football through the tire thingy($25). That makes the cost of the driver $11 instead of $214 if my math is correct.

Your opinions please.

Jim

Huh? Going back to re-read cause I _had_ to miss something.

Brad

Ern Gumban
10-17-2007, 8:46 PM
The compact drill is great. I will add the impact when I'm done Christmas shopping. Personally, I want the two additional batteries and case. If I diid not have the drill already, I'd get the $269 combo. It's a great deal.

Ern

Bill Keppel
10-17-2007, 9:01 PM
I got the drill and impact driver package atHome Depot for $269. Seemed like a good deal to me. The batteries are the 1.5 not the 3.0 ( I think the individually priced drill and impact dfriver may have the 3.0 battery), but I will not be using them continusly all day and as they are LI they recharge very quickly if they run down.

Jim Eller
10-17-2007, 9:09 PM
Brad,

Yer right, the math would be, you would be getting the driver for 20 bucks instead of $11.

The drill sells for $199 and the set would be $219 if you elect to do the $50 thingy.

Ern,

The combo does come in a case but it is soft side and the color is bad:eek: .

Thanks for the user experience.

Grant Vanbokklen
10-17-2007, 9:10 PM
Anyone know what the difference is between the White version and the Green version of this drill/driver, besides a lot more in price for the Green version? How much better is the Green version?

Nick Walter
10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
They are 2 different tools. The green one adds a hammer drill mode, has a third gear, 100 inch lbs more of torque, and weighs 1.25 lbs more. The white one can use either the 1.5 or 3.0 Ah batteries. The green one only accepts the 3.0 Ah batteries, unless you take the Dremel to it. The white one feels so small and light that it is hard to realize how much power you have in your hand. I do a lot of hole saw work and the 1.5 Ah batteries don't last long, however they charge twice as fast. If you are thinking about running long screws in w/o pre-drilling, look into a impact driver.

Bob Malone
10-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Jim we replaced all of our Dewalt drills in the shop with the Makita white 1.5Ah drills recently. The Makita white drills are light, but offer a great power to weight ratio. The 1.5 Ah batteries that come with the Makita drills do loose a charge quicker than the large green Makita 3.0 Ah drills, but as stated they charge 2X quicker so it appears as if the trade off is equal.

When using the drill we have never run out of juice, becuase the batteries charge in only 15 minutes. The chuck holds tight and we have never had anything but great reviews for this tool. In fact most visitors to the shop try it for a few minutes, and we have had three other wood workers buy one recently.

The combo deal at Home Depot is a great buy, the makita 1.5 Ah white drill is a great product - the combo make the deal even that much better! THe fact the drill is an 18V means you never are searching for more power - they have plenty of torque for the jobs we use them for.

I do not work for Makita but I think those guys got this product right the first time out of the gate!

Bob in Calgary

Jim Eller
10-18-2007, 7:28 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I will be making a trip back to HD this morning.

Both tools for $219 seemed like a good deal yesterday. And with a couple of positive reviews, it seems good today also.

Jim

Stan Welborn
10-18-2007, 2:18 PM
The drill is one of the most satisfying tools I have obtained recently. I couldn't believe how much better it was than my old 14.4 drills. I also bought the recip saw when Amazon had em for $75 (tool only) With the fast charge time of the batteries, it's non stop demolition. The impact driver is probably a good tool also, but I'm over run with pneumatic drivers and ratchets. Not sure how much use it would get.

Brian Gumpper
10-18-2007, 4:37 PM
I bought that kit from Amazon over a month ago before they had them in stock. It was about the same price but came with the flashlight. So; drill, driver, flashlight, two batteries, charger and case.

Haven't used it yet because it just arrived last week but so far it looks good. I like the lighter weight which is why I opted for this kit. I already own the BTD140 which is the impact driver with the larger capacity battery. Gonna sell that now.