PDA

View Full Version : Two Landscape Maintenance questions

Matt Meiser
10-17-2007, 8:19 PM
I have two landscape maintenance questions:

1) We have about 6 mature Rose of Sharon bushes. When we moved here 4 years ago, the previous owner cut them off completely about 6-10" above the ground. In 4 years they've grown to be as big or bigger than they were when we looked at the house the first time. Should I repeat the same process? Cut off just enough to bring them back to a reasonable size?

I need to figure out how to take care of them because we planted 25 more seedlings 3 years ago, we've only lost one and they really took of this year and started blooming. I expect them to take off from there next year and will probably need to start worrying about maintaining them within the next couple years.

2) Two years ago we planted some Zebra Grass. Last summer I just left it go. This year it is huge. Should I trim it back? Can I split some off safely and start another plant?

Jim Becker
10-17-2007, 9:11 PM
Rose of Sharon can be cut down radically and will grow back very nicely. It will also self-populate and if you take those seedlings, you can plant them elsewhere.

Grasses can be split with no problem...I do it all the time. The next season, they won't even know that you stole what you stole to re-plant around your property. At some point, you may find that some plants in some places just have to be split, even if you need to throw away part of it. Otherwise, they can get out of hand. DAMHIKT!