PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stand design help needed

Henry Cavanaugh
10-17-2007, 7:56 PM
I am looking to build four speaker stands for my sons surround sound system. Speakers are 12" high so stands would be 24" high plus speaker. I thought a yankee Candle stand design (no top)with a 2-3" turned column and three legs dovetailed into base of column. The top of column would have a threaded stud to accept the threaded insert on bottom of speaker.. I think it would be stable enough as far as falling over but didnt know if more mass is needed to prevent vibrating on the hardwood floors. The commercial ones have a heavy metal plate on floor. Does any one have a better design idea or pictures of a speaker stand.

William Nimmo
10-17-2007, 8:11 PM
No pictures but here is what I did
One set.. I used 4 pieces 1x4 cherry and made a column about 30 inches high, mitered corners and attached another piece of 1x 8 cherry on the top flat with a hole drilled for speaker wire to travel through the column. The base I used 1 piece of cherry flat and 2 pcs 3/4 ply glued and screwed together about 16x16. rubber feet on the bottom.

Next set..real quickie.. oak hand rail standing on edge with couple sheets ply on bottom trimed in oak and oak shelf for speaker. ran the speaker wire in the recess of the back of the hand rail.

Steve Milito
10-17-2007, 8:13 PM
Audiophiles think mass is important. Many speaker stands are hollow allowing you to fill the stand with sand.