PDA

View Full Version : finishing Layers

Jonathan Harvey
10-17-2007, 7:19 PM
Does anyone know if you can put Polyurathane over Shellac finish?? I am looking for a little more shine in my bowl and the shellac is not quite enough.

Also wondering what other finishes can be put over Shellac. Can you use an oil finish over shellac? how about Varnish?

Jonathan

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2007, 7:23 PM
I seal almost all exotics like cocobolo, rosewood amd such with shelac on the lathe and burnish it in then I topcoat it with lacquer.

Bob

Mike Vickery
10-17-2007, 7:35 PM
Dewaxed shellac is great becuase it will stick to almost anything and almost anything will stick to it. One of its major uses is as an in between layer between non compatable finishes.

So I guess my answer is if the shellac is dewaxed yes. If not maybe, I personally would not but I have heard many others say they have done it with out issues.

Not your question but you should be able to buff shellac to a high shine, however while it dries quickly it cures fairly slowly. I personally would wait about a month to buff it (which is why I dont use it as a finish)

Neal Addy
10-17-2007, 9:02 PM
Give Arm-R-Seal (General Finish) a try. It's a urethane-based product and really builds up a high-gloss coat.