PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinge experts

Craig D Peltier
10-17-2007, 5:48 PM
Hi,
I have 3 questions.

1) If a cabinet opening shows a little (1/8) after hinge is fully extended will a 1/2 face frame overlay hinge go further over than a 3/4 overlay hinge? I think the answer is no.
2) Do thye sell spacers I can put behind hinge that attaches to face frame to bring hinge out further?

3) I have used but dont know where I got them a 3/4 overlay face frame hinge that slides on something like a sliding dovetail.I think I will get more range with one of them?

Ed Peters
10-17-2007, 7:39 PM
if you are showing a gap. We can work on that later if you like. For now, let's get the terminology down. Overlay is simply the amount of door that covers the face frame when the hinges are properly installed. You need to make the decision on the amount of overlay you want when you work out the design. Then you can buy the proper hinge and cut your door parts correctly. The number is purely a matter of personal preference. I typically use ½" on my doors and drawers. To answer your question, a ¾" overlay hinge will widen the gap you are currently seeing on the door you are talking about because it will increase the amount of overlay on the hinge side, robbing it from the handle side. Perhaps you should respond with the following information:
1] Opening size in the face frame.
2] Preferred overlay value.
3] Manufacturer and ID number of the hinge you have.
4] Finished size of your door.

Ed

Craig D Peltier
10-17-2007, 8:04 PM
if you are showing a gap. We can work on that later if you like. For now, let's get the terminology down. Overlay is simply the amount of door that covers the face frame when the hinges are properly installed. You need to make the decision on the amount of overlay you want when you work out the design. Then you can buy the proper hinge and cut your door parts correctly. The number is purely a matter of personal preference. I typically use ½" on my doors and drawers. To answer your question, a ¾" overlay hinge will widen the gap you are currently seeing on the door you are talking about because it will increase the amount of overlay on the hinge side, robbing it from the handle side. Perhaps you should respond with the following information:
1] Opening size in the face frame.
2] Preferred overlay value.
3] Manufacturer and ID number of the hinge you have.
4] Finished size of your door.

Ed

These are cabinet doors already installed on a set of old cabinets above closets. Only two show some gap. They currently have Blum 3/4 face frame attached overlays. They mount on the actual edge of face frame. 1/2 inch overlay will look better so if I change them to half I will gain a quarter inch on handle side?
Thanks
Door Opening 17 1/16
Door is 17 7/8
3/4 overlay hinges

David Duke
10-17-2007, 8:23 PM
The short answer is yes.

The overlay spec of the mounting plate is refering to the amount the door overlays on the hinge side. Since that is the case, if you currently have 3/4" mounting plates and were to change to 1/2" plates you would push the door to the handle side 1/4" with some adjustment.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-17-2007, 8:34 PM
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28908

frank shic
10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
cliff, that's the second great link you've posted from FWW in the last few days with a bonus: the wood whisperer himself!