PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT3000vce vs Milwaukee 5625 vs Triton

Rick Cicciarelli
10-17-2007, 4:53 PM
Looking for ONE router to use as a dedicated router for a router table. I'll be building a cabinet router table (I want the storage for tools underneath etc.). Each of these routers seem to have good reviews for the most part under the table. I'm looking at the Freud FT3000vce, the Milwaukee 5625 and either of the Triton routers (2 1/4 for its above-table adjusting rod, or the 3 1/4 simply for power). I'd appreciate personal opinions on these from those who have used them.

scott spencer
10-17-2007, 6:41 PM
Hi Rick - I've got the MW5625 (http://www99.epinions.com/content_245903494788) and the FT1700 (http://www99.epinions.com/content_228357738116) for router table use. The 5625 is a good router and is a powerhouse, but I use the FT1700 in the table most of the time for it's above table features. The 5625 requires two wrenches and removal of the insert to change bits from above the table. The FT1700 has an auto-lock collet and protrudes well above the table which allows one handed bit changes with the insert still installed. I don't know what features the FT3000 offers other than more power. Which one you'll like best is a matter of preference.

Ed Beers
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
After getting advise here, I went with a 5625 bolted directly to the table. I have only had it a month but I'm really happy with it. It only takes 15 seconds to drop the router out of the base for "above table" bit changes.

Ed

Rick Cicciarelli
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah...but what about small height adjustments with the 5625? Is that also an "under table" adjustment?

Ed Beers
10-18-2007, 3:06 AM
You can either make them above the table with the included T-wrench or below the table using the knob. I find that I usually crouch down with my eye at table height to make critical adjustments so I usually use the knob.

Ed

Quesne Ouaques
10-18-2007, 9:22 AM
Rick:

I have the 2 1/4 hp Triton, but I just got it a few weeks ago and I cannot offer much of an in-depth opinion. It seems to be a very good quality tool, and comes with a nice fence and set of template guides.

Fine Woodworking had an excellent article called "Routers for Router Tables" in the Jan/Feb 2007 issue. The Milwaukee 5625 and Freud FT1700VCEK are reviewed among others.

I bought the Triton mostly due to exhaustive research and a comparison of features between lots of routers. Reading the article pushed me over the edge, though, since the Triton won "Best Overall" and "Best Value".

Randal Stevenson
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I bought the 5625 because of the deal I got. I have it on a plate for removal and changes.
My dad has bad knees and keeps skinning his knuckles on his current Craftsman Bosch, in the table. For him I recommended the FT3000vce. We were going to share my router, but he doesn't want to pull the plate out to change it, and he stripped a screw on an older one the other day (lives by the can't have something too tight theory). I picked up on the Peachtree deal, before I knew if it did above the table bit changes (didn't want to see them gone before I knew). So I will either get a couple more plates and set up cabinet door setups with multiple routers, or use one on an SRK (experimenting) and sell one to my neighbor who is getting back into woodworking.

Rick Cicciarelli
10-18-2007, 1:58 PM
What does the 5625 have over the Freud FT3000vce? It seems every review I've read on the Milwaukee 5625 has been good....you just have to be willing to slip the router motor out from under the table for bit changes. The Freud allows you to do this from above the table from the looks of it. So why would someone buy the 5625 over the Freud FT3000vce? (not trying to get into an arguement, but I haven't seen either of these in person, so I'd love to hear about features one has over the other).

Randal Stevenson
10-18-2007, 2:57 PM
What does the 5625 have over the Freud FT3000vce? It seems every review I've read on the Milwaukee 5625 has been good....you just have to be willing to slip the router motor out from under the table for bit changes. The Freud allows you to do this from above the table from the looks of it. So why would someone buy the 5625 over the Freud FT3000vce? (not trying to get into an arguement, but I haven't seen either of these in person, so I'd love to hear about features one has over the other).

The biggest difference I see, is the track record. The Freud is a new model, so it really hasn't even been in the review segment yet. In two years, after people have some hands on experience, that may change.

Milwaukee now has a plunge base for their 5615, and if this becomes major competition (I think the pc7518 has been pretty much their competition in their eyes), they will adapt, and the next gen 5625 may have above the base bit changes.

Ed Beers
10-18-2007, 2:59 PM
The feature that pretty much all Milwaukee tools have is that they are reliable in heavy use and really have the power they are supposed to have.

John Hedges
10-18-2007, 7:57 PM
I noticed you didn't specify whether you were going to use a lift. A lot of the responses have to do with using the bases that come with the router (above the table bit changes, using the supplied wrenches to adjust height etc.). If you are going to get a lift these are moot points, as these become functions of the lift. I have the Milwaukee 5625 in a quick lift and love it. I got it for the reasons that Ed mentioned, Milwaukee is known for real heavy duty tools that are workhorses and the reviews on this router seemed to substantiate this.
As far as the review in FWW on table routers I was surprised as the main criteria for their evaluation was how the functions worked which are replaced by a lift, so I didn't put much stock in that review. That is not to criticize either of the other two routers in any way, just an observation on that review.
I would put much more stock in what Pat Warner has to say (he's forgot more about routing that most of us with ever know)http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html. His evaluation puts the Milwaukee as the best selection for a router table

John Thompson
10-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I put a Milwaukee 5625 under my table about 5 years ago. About 30,000 linear feet of simple molding latter, still humming away. It's takes just a minute to lift the plate and change bits. Above table height adjustment even though simple enough to open my cabinet base doors and do it manually that way.

To sum it up... simple.. built like a tank and power to spare. I can depend on it!

I basically won't purchase a tool sight unseen, but I ordered the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP plunge-body kit today from Tyler Tool as nobody had one I could look at before the purchase. I have that much confidence the Milwaukee did it right even though that combo just came out in June.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Terry Leger
10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
You won’t regret going with the Milwaukee 5625. I have one in my router table and I could not be happier with it.

You might want to consider a set of off set wrenches which allows for above the table bit changes. http://www.woodpeck.com/offsetwrenches.html (http://www.woodpeck.com/offsetwrenches.html)

Another interesting fact is that the 5625 has the same baseplate pattern as the 7518. So if you order a predrilled plate, don’t be surprised if a 7518 plate shows up on your doorstep.

It does have an above the table adjustment capability but I have yet to use it. You have to reach under the table to unlock it and when you do your hand is right next to the fine adjustment knob making the above the table adjustment pointless. Plus I’m usually bent over at eye level with the table when making adjustments anyway.

Another point is that the Milwaukee 5625 uses the same wrench size as most Porter Cables. So if you have a Porter Cable for hand use you only need one set of wrenches.

glenn bradley
10-18-2007, 11:52 PM
What does the 5625 have over the Freud FT3000vce?

This is a question for someone who owns both. I don't, but of course that won't stop me from giving my two cents worth. That's why we ask questions here is to get opinions and experiences, right?

When I bought the 5625, neither the Triton's or the Freud were around or I just missed them. The 5625 is a locomotive in the table. It starts smooth, runs smooth and eats anything I have fed it. I have to remind myself to take small bites and multiple passes because it just doesn't care.

The Milwaukee is adjustable from above the table but uses a cam lock like the Freud. This locking action can alter your height as it is engaged and requires a short learning curve. I do plan on getting a real lift down the road for this and other reasons.

The Freud has that wonderful long shaft that allows above the table bit changes but dropping the 5625 out of the body and changing bits on the table top is a non-issue for me (the lift will eliminate this anyway). Its so easy.

The 2 1/4 HP triton has a very elegant design that makes it perfect for the table but I would be unwilling to give up the power of the 5625. The larger Triton for reasons known only to them does not have the elegant design features of the smaller unit but still looks like a great router. The Tritons (my dad's is setting on the table in front of me as I write this) are of a different design than our "American" routers but again, the learning curve is quite short.

If I had never known the joy of the 5625 and was doing it from scratch, I would go with the smaller Triton and never be unhappy. I'd also save the cost of a lift. Oh, but the power . . . (insert Tim Allen grunts here).

P.s. 5 year warranty on the Mil, don't know about the Freud.

Charles McCracken
10-19-2007, 7:02 AM
P.s. 5 year warranty on the Mil, don't know about the Freud.

It's 5 years on the Freud as well as a 90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.

scott spencer
10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
It's 5 years on the Freud as well as a 90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Hi Charles, can you tell us if the FT3000 has similar above table features as the FT1700? (sorry, I can't remember...)

Randal Stevenson
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Charles, can you tell us if the FT3000 has similar above table features as the FT1700? (sorry, I can't remember...)

Not Charles, but I can say it has the wrench for fine tuning, and above the table bit changes. (the reason I recommended it to my father).

Charles McCracken
10-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Hi Scott,

Yes, the FT3000E has above table height adjustment as well as above table shaft lock and the collet protrudes above the table for bit changes. Details here:
http://www.freudtools.com/p-261-ft3000vce-3-14-hp-variable-speed-plunge-router.aspx

Randal Stevenson
10-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi Scott,

Yes, the FT3000E has above table height adjustment as well as above table shaft lock and the collet protrudes above the table for bit changes. Details here:
http://www.freudtools.com/p-261-ft3000vce-3-14-hp-variable-speed-plunge-router.aspx

What is the maximum thickness of the router table allowed, for the above the table height changes?

Charles McCracken
10-23-2007, 3:36 PM
What is the maximum thickness of the router table allowed, for the above the table height changes?

Randall,

The collet nut extends ~11/16" above the base of the router and the top 1/4" of that is the flats for the collet wrench. So you could go as thick as 7/16" and still have full access to the flats with the included bent wrench.

Rick Cicciarelli
11-03-2007, 9:29 PM
Anyone use the Freud FT3000 yet? I got a brief chance to look at it, and it was my impression that the height adjustment knob would be find for fine height adjustments, but if you needed to use this same crank to raise the bit out up out of the table that it would take FOREVER to turn that knob enough times to get it up there. Did I miss something, or is there a faster/easier way to quickly raise the bit up out of the table from above to change bits?