PDA

View Full Version : Ever turned Balsa wood?

Paul Engle
10-17-2007, 4:23 PM
Anybody ever turn Balsa? I discover a box full of pieces from my scratch building daze of RC flying (along with some motors I collected from the 30's -60's )and thought about some segment work but the stuff is pretty fragile.

John Taylor
10-17-2007, 5:25 PM
HI

I am turning some at the moment, or trying to.

I was given some 10" 2x2 lengths so thought I would try it and see what happens.

The first try was a complete disaster but I am getting better, so far I have found you need very sharp tools, a very fast lathe speed and very light cuts.

I am starting to get good results but nothing more than odd shapes, if I manage to actually make something I will post some pictures.

john

Mike Hood
10-17-2007, 5:36 PM
Seems like it would be easier to turn using abrasives? I've turned nose cones and other shapes for RC planes like that (nacels, canopy parts and cowls).

Jim King
10-17-2007, 9:02 PM
I agree with Mike. No tools needed except sandpaper on a stick. We have a lot of it as it is the first tree species to come up in abandonded cocaine plantations but I dont know what you could make out of it in the turning area. I have tried it but it is difficult to hold in the lathe but at least it doesnt hurt much when it flies loose.

Dick Strauss
10-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Paul,
I'm not a big fan of turning soft woods. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

I tried to re-turn some basswood after DNA soaking and boy was I disappointed. Not only did it cut poorly but it smelled like urine. Needless to say, I thought someone dumped the porta-potty over in the garage (it was that bad!).

Paul Engle
10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, I kinda had a sneakin suspecion thats what it was going to be like , yea I've my share of nose cones using jig saw and sandpaper.I think I will put em back in the shed with the motors , ifn I get started on those I liable to sell lathe , shop , home, dog and z28 and go flyin again.....:o