PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck...turning tools?

Jeff Yates
10-17-2007, 1:59 PM
Well I've been a lurkin...and workin' my behind off at the same time, and I'm ready to pull the cover off that ole lathe again and see if I can't figure it all out.

I've been using some of the cheapie Harbor Freight tools, and while they work I am getting tear out on Cherry, either I'm doing it wrong or I"m not getting the tools sharp enough....

So I'm kind of at a loss on where to go.

I figure best bet is to get a little better tool than the cheap $10 set from the Freight and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

I noticed someone was talking about the PSI Carbide Tipped might be a good buy, but any opinions on a decent set that I won't worry TOO much about destroying if it's my sharpening skills?

Chris Fierro
10-17-2007, 2:21 PM
I am a relative newbie, but when I bought the Windsor Design / HF chisel set, I also bought the $10 Pittsburgh set. No comparison. The $10 set has been useful for practicing sharpening, and that is about it. It seems to be a popular consensus that the $35 ish HSS set from HF is a good starter set--I am enjoying mine.

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2007, 2:47 PM
if your hf tools are the HSS version then they are decent tools. I have bought lots of tools and still use some of these almost every time turn. I have a feeling this might be a sharpening issue.

Bob

Neal Addy
10-17-2007, 2:57 PM
The tear-out problem could be several things. Without being there it's impossible for us to tell, but I'm tempted to say that the tools themselves are probably not the main cause. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying new tools (I'd never do that) but it might be best to learn to "dance with the one who brung you" before you go investing.

Dull tools, wrong grind, or overly aggressive turning are common culprits of tear-out. Sometimes its just the wood itself not wanting to cooperate.

Do you use a sharpening system or are you hand-sharpening? I'd check the bevel angles and make sure they aren't too aggressive. Are you using a bowl gouge or scraper? Scraper bevels should be in the 10 to 15 degree range. A light burr also helps.

If it's a bowl gouge it could just be the presentation (i.e. angle) you are using during turning.

Ron Ainge
10-17-2007, 2:58 PM
I have learned over the years the I have a lot more tear out on green wood than I on wood that is dry. I also believe that sharper tools and the wood a bit dryer my help you.

Jeff Yates
10-17-2007, 3:07 PM
Let me say it's a $10 set from Harbor Freight...they didn't have the HSS toosl when I went in so long ago...

I am sharpening by hand, using mainly a whetstone until I feel it's sharp enough, I have no experience here so I just play around and have left the shape of the basic tools as I purchased them.

What I'm working on mainly are tweaker screwdriver handles. I purchased 140 Cherry blanks on ebay a while back, I think it was $15 shipped to my door to play around with...I've only gone through about 20 of them, some I an live with, some I just chunk when I get done. Amazingly enough, the tulipwood I turned came out beautifully...but the cherry seems to tear.

I wish I had a good camera setup so I could show ya...but I'm kinda hosed not having a decent setup...

The main tool I'm using is what I believe is a fingernail gouge...

Heck, I guess what I need to do is head over to Gulf Coast Turners and see when the next meeting is, but it always seemed to fall on a weekend I was out of town...

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2007, 3:16 PM
Jeff,
I would say buy the $35 hf set and then get a way to get a constant grind like the oneway wolverine system. You will thank yourself.

Bob

Jeff Yates
10-17-2007, 3:31 PM
So no advantage to ordering a slightly more expensive set online like at Amazon from PSI or Grizzly?

Brian Weick
10-17-2007, 3:31 PM
One part of turning/carving that I learned along time ago is that you are only as good as the tools in your shop. If the turning tools are dull ~ this will not give you a clean cut and could be causing the tare-out. Try sharpening them- do a thorough job and I am sure will notice a big difference.:)
Brian

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2007, 3:46 PM
Jeff,
the hf set are just spindle tools, which looks like what you need right now. I myself do not consider the griz or psi tools an upgrade fomr the $35 hf. Now if you were talking about sorby or many other high end ones then yes it will be an upgrade but you still need a good way to sharpen.

I should say any HSS tool will be an upgrade from the $10 set you have.

bob

Neal Addy
10-17-2007, 3:50 PM
HSS is nice to work with because it will hold an edge longer than carbon. It's also slightly easier to sharpen (IMO) and less prone to heat damage. But carbon tools have been around since long before HSS was ever thought of and they are perfectly fine to use.

In all honesty, the only thing a high-dollar tool does is hold an edge longer. You could spend $300 on a Sorby tool set and still have the same problem if your sharpening technique is lacking. Check into a decent grinder and Wolverine jig. They're worth the investment.

I think your idea of a club visit is great. Take the tools with you and get someone to stick around after the meeting to discuss sharpening and technique. It would be worth gold.

Granted, you run the chance of running into a "tool snob" who looks down on Harbor Freight tools (they are out there) but take that with a grain of salt. Tools do NOT make the turner. Anyone with the right knowledge and experience can turn just as good a product using a homemade tool as with a $300 set.

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of upgrading your tools. Just stating facts.

Mike Peace
10-17-2007, 3:51 PM
There is a set of 8 with red handles from HF for about $50 which seem to be only available in their retail stores. It is a much better set than the set for $36.99 ITEM 47066-4VGA. Both use HSS but the more expensive set is a little heavier, has a better spindle gouge and I was told by an experienced turner that it appears to be a higher grade of steel. I could not locate the better set on their internet site. My 2 cents.

Jeff Yates
10-17-2007, 4:05 PM
I appreciate all y'alls input...

*laugh*...seems the next Gulf Coast Turners meet I can make it to is in December..how I love the Holidays...

So til then I'll see if I can't find some sharpening help on the web to make sure I'm not completely hosing it all up.

I'll look into sharpening systems as well...

Again,

Thanks to all of ya

Jon Lanier
10-17-2007, 5:46 PM
Tools do NOT make the turner.

I've been saying that about golf for years... my saying is: "There is no substitute for skill."

-Jon

Tom Keen
10-17-2007, 8:56 PM
Im down to my last HF tool... the one inch skew..they served me well. If you want to spend a little more, try Penn State Industries. A 1/2 bowl gouge for less than $20 is a great deal. I bought one to see what it was like. It not high end HSS by a long shot, but I can rough out a bowl with it with only a couple of resharpenings. I ended up putting a production grind on it with a very steep bevel and use it to cut the transition and bottom of bowls... use it almost everyday..great tool, I plan on buying another if it ever wears out.

Tom

Jim Kountz
10-17-2007, 9:55 PM
Check out the Pinnacle tools from Woodcraft. I bought two of these over the weekend in the presence of the Sorby rep all the way from England. He didnt sell me to be honest. They are having a sale right now on a set of the Pinnacles for $99. I bought the parting tool and a bowl gouge, I didnt go for the set just because I already have some tools and it would have just been redundant.
For some reason they dont advertise them under the Pinnacle name on their website but they do have them on the site. Nice tools and long handles.

Joe O'Leary
10-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I second the Pinnacle tools. Also agree that sharpening technique is as important as turning skill. Get an 8" grinder and practice.