PDA

View Full Version : Help

Wendell Marsh
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
:confused: :( I am stumped. What is the difference between bowl gouge and a spindle goug. I know I should know but for the life of me I cann't remember. Wen

Mike Vickery
10-17-2007, 1:00 PM
I could be missing something but as far as I know the major difference is bowl gouges have a deeper flute so they can remove wood faster.

edited in: I am refering to spindle gouges made from round metal stock and have a full tang. Not roughing gouges or forged spindle gouges

Brett Baldwin
10-17-2007, 1:07 PM
Besides depth of the flute I've also noticed that spindle gouges tend to have a much sharper angle as measured parallel to shaft of the gouge. From use, I assume that is so that sharper details can be created.

John Taylor
10-17-2007, 5:21 PM
HI

With regards to bowl and spindle gouges there is one argument that there is no such thing they are all just gouges, some are just longer and stronger than others and some are ground differently for certain uses.

When bowl gouges first came out most turners called them long, strong spindle gouges. I have used bowl gouges on spindle work and spindle gouges on bowl work.

The main difference apart from length and strength seems to be in the depth and shape of the flute.

It doesnt really matter which gouge you use as long as it is safe to do so. For instance I wouldnt use a 1/4" spindle gouge on a 12" bowl.

john

Pat Salter
10-18-2007, 9:15 AM
:confused: :( but for the life of me I cann't remember. Wen

I can't remember wen either :D