PDA

View Full Version : Noise and Duct Collection

William Harrison
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I have a ClearVue (CV) dust collector and I am in the process of setting up the ductwork. I plan to exhaust to the outside of my garage. I will be enclosing the CV to reduce noise. My final issue is the noise coming from the air exiting the garage. My understanding is it sounds like a "small jet engine". So any ideas how to reduce the speed before it leave the garage? I'm sure if I increase the diameter (area) of the duct the speed of the air should reduce. However I don't want a 10 x 10 foot duct to the outside. Any ideas?

Could I make an enclose before it goes out, then vent out using a reasonable size hole to the outside? I' m not quite sure the impact of my idea. Ie an enclosure 2 x 2 x6 feet then out a 2 x 2 vent. I assume the noise would reduce. Is the noise reduction enough to not notice it 10 feet away? If I reduce the vent out compared to the enclosure what effect will that have on the CV?

Thanks

Bill

ps I did post at ClearVue website just thought I might get more looks here.

Rod Sheridan
10-18-2007, 8:23 AM
Hi, you can buy silencers for cyclones, I put one on my Oneida.

One solution used with engines, is to vent upwards, with the pipe cut at an angle to reduce turbulence, obviously a rain cap is required.

Otherwise you need a labyrinth type of enclosure with a lot of small holes to let the air out of.

regards, Rod.

Mark Carlson
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd try a muffler on the exhaust. Oneida, Grizzly and Penn State Industries sell mufflers or you could make one from directions on Bill Pentz website.

~mark

William Harrison
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Guess I don't understand mufflers. I thought the muffler will handle the impeller noise not change the air speed. I assume at the fpm the CV has it should be loud with the air rushing out a small 6 inch pipe.

Bill

JayStPeter
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Put a muffler if you need one. I doubt you will.