PDA

View Full Version : Are these eletrical fixes legit?

Dan Mages
10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi.

I just got a confirmation from my realtor that the electrical issues in the house we are buying are "fixed". However, I am not certain if these are proper repairs for the issues at hand. The first issue was a double tap on a circuit which was apparently fixed by splicing the two wires together and then running a pigtail to the circuit. The second issue was a 40 amp circuit for the AC had #10 wiring, which was undersized and was corrected by switching the 40 amp breaker for a 30 amp breaker. Are these two fixes legit?

Thanks,

Dan Mages

Chris Friesen
10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
As long as the wire joints were done in an accessable junction box or other approved box, it sounds reasonable.

As for the AC, I assume you mean #10 wiring, rather than "10 amp wiring"? It may have been perfectly fine before. AC equipment is special-cased similar to motor and welder loads, and so falls under different rules. For an example, see:

http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/99_d/simmons.htm

While the 30A breaker is very likely fine for the circuit conductors, you may want to double-check that a 30A breaker is sufficient for the AC unit in question.

Dan Mages
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Yep. You caught me, it is #10 wiring... typo on my behalf.