PDA

View Full Version : Freezers?

Bonnie Campbell
10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi, We've got a upright Whirlpool freezer. This morning was the second time we've had to get it repaired due to a VERY poorly designed defrost drain. The first time it was under warranty and cost the company almost $1,000 in food replacement costs. This time we're SOL, warranty is up.

So, after all that rambling.... can someone recommend a good freezer? I'm NOT buying another Whirlpool appliance if I can help it.

Thanks!

Nancy Laird
10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Bonnie, I have a Norge upright that I've had for 25 years and it still keeps on ticking....it's been moved 5 times, including once cross-country, and it's as good as the day we bought it. I also have an old Montgomery Ward model that is older than the Norge (it was given to us), and it's still ticking too.

Don't know who made the MW branded units, but my recommendation is that you do NOT get a self-defrosting unit. Those things work by thawing and refreezing, thereby reducing the life of the food in the freezer because of freezer burn, etc. Just get one that you have to defrost once a year (or like me, once every 2-3 years!!!:eek: ), and you won't have the drain problem.

Nancy (65 days)

Bonnie Campbell
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
That's a very good point Nancy in not getting a frost free. Had just been talking to the repair guy saying how the older freezers (and fridges) needed defrosting, but you KNEW you had to do it every so often. The 'surprise' is having a frost free you don't expect to spend time thawing out. The repair guy did say if they'd use the 'cattle prod' defrosting wire these problems wouldn't happen. Told him I'd demand to see the freezer guts next time to see how it's wired up ;) He said they wouldn't remove the panel to let me look. I told him I'll carry my own screw driver :D

My ex has a fridge from 1942 that STILL works, just needed defrosting about once a year.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
We bought our Kenmore in 1993, and have never had a problem with it except for the bottom seal falling off. We're in and out of it daily. It's self defrost and does mean the food won't last as long, but the old Mont. Ward we had before that lasted 18 years was easy to defrost in the garage. Here we have it in the laundry room and it would be near impossible to move out to defrost.

Greg Cole
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Wer have a fridge of unknown vintage at our family deer camp in Vermont, lets just say it's a gas operated fridge and the lights on the wall have globes and require a match to illuminate...
My folks have had the same chest freezer for as long as I can remember and it's been moved 6-7 times.
"They just don't make (insert appliance, machine etc here) like they used to".

Greg

Gary Keedwell
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
LOL I don't mean no offense to anybody but have you ever noticed when someone is looking for a new product, they get testimonials about things that pre-date the hula-hoop?:rolleyes: :D :)
Gary

Charles Wiggins
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Maybe this will help you decide.

Nancy Laird
10-17-2007, 12:46 PM
LOL I don't mean no offense to anybody but have you ever noticed when someone is looking for a new product, they get testimonials about things that pre-date the hula-hoop?:rolleyes: :D :)
Gary

Hey, Gary, I predate the hula hoop!!!:D :D No offense taken, either!

Nancy (65 days)

Matt Meiser
10-17-2007, 1:10 PM
We just have an inexpensive Fridgidaire chest freezer that has worked well for us for the past 7 years. We bought some plastic baskets that we put the food in so we can quickly dig to the bottom since that is always where what you are looking for is located.

Bonnie Campbell
10-17-2007, 2:14 PM
This ought to hearten some..... "In the 14th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_century), "hooping" was popular in England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) and medics blamed it for heart attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myocardial_infarction) and back dislocations."

So I don't think any of us pre-date the hula hoop *LOL* Pulled that off of wikipedia, so no telling how accurate it is ;)

I know the older freezers were built better. My problem is finding a new model :o I checked the pdf file and ours thats junk is listed as high good. maybe its just this one.....

Ed Falis
10-17-2007, 3:09 PM
The advantage of the chest freezers is that they don't lose as much temp when you open them as the uprights do. I just bought a self-defrosting one (there are two chest freezers that self-defrost on the market). We'll see how it goes. We had to put it in a room with hardwood floors, so I didn't want to be messing with the possible leakage during a manual defrost.

Al Willits
10-17-2007, 4:29 PM
Defrost times depends on how many times you open the door and the temp and humidity in the room.

That Kenmore unit may have been built by Whirlpool, here's a link and you can see if ya want.

http://www.appliance411.ca/parts/sears.shtml

Something Consumers Reports hasn't figured out I think, I'd take them with a grain of salt..imho

Bonnie, email me the model and serial number and I'll see if there's any updates on the unit, if ya want.
Whirlpool generally makes a good product, but like the rest, they have problems too.

Al

David G Baker
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Bonnie,
No matter which brand you choose think about getting a freezer alarm that lets you know when the temp rises to a level that will cause problems with the frozen food.