PDA

View Full Version : Etching LaserFoil

George Elston
10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Was on the Epilog site and saw a tech tip on etching Laser Foil, it said (and showed pictures) that LaserFoil turns black when etched. This would be perfect for a project I had planed to do with gold Romark Laserthin. BUT when I tried it NO BLACK, it just kind of etches away the surface. Any experience? I have the Laser Foil from LASERBITS, which is what the Epilog site says it is using.The LASERBITS tech tip doesn't say anything about etching to black.

Thought I'd ask before chasing my tail.
Thanks

Mike Null
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
George

The glossy foil I use from Johnson Plastics lasers away in the rastered area. I have seen Rowmark material in gold and silver but brushed not gloss that will engrave black. The material I saw comes in a roll.

Rodne Gold
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I think there are 2 types of foil ,one that is meant to be applied and then vector cut and peeled away, sort of like sign vinyl , leaving a die cut shape of the foil
The other is the very thin self adhesive that IS engraveable.

Bill Cunningham
10-17-2007, 8:46 PM
Isn't it called laserlights, or laserthins or something like that.. It's a very thin laserable romark plastic

James Rambo
10-17-2007, 9:10 PM
Try LASERBITS.COM - rowmark products - laserlight sheets. It comes in a few different color combos.

Robert Murray
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I have some of the laser foil from laserbits and I tried many settings none
of them left a black mark. I had the same idea from look at the epilog site. But it doesn't work as described on that page.

I ended up engraving away the letters then color filled it turned out ok.
I figure I could make it work next time now that I have a better idea.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
The best way to use the laser foil is on smooth wood. Peel and stick it on, then rastor the background and cut the wood piece out, leaving raised letters with a nice glossy colored face. As Rodne said it can also be vector cut and weeded. The thin adhesive product that turns black when etched is laserlites, as Bill and James mentioned, it comes in a lot of color combinations like the other Rowmark laminates.

George Elston
10-18-2007, 6:54 AM
I have some of the laser foil from laserbits and I tried many settings none
of them left a black mark. I had the same idea from look at the epilog site. But it doesn't work as described on that page.

I ended up engraving away the letters then color filled it turned out ok.
I figure I could make it work next time now that I have a better idea.

Thanks to all. My experience is the same. If it worked like they show on the Epilog site it would be great, but I guess I will just use the laser lite, like I had originally planned. It's for a donated job, and using less expensive material would be great, plus if it did work I think it would look better as I am using the foil for parts, and was hoping for consistency in material.

Robert
Although the color fill idea is a good one, what did you use for the fill?

Mike Null
10-18-2007, 9:16 AM
George

James Rambo has given the correct info. It is available in sheets as well as roll. Check the Johnson Plastics book or other Rowmark distributors.

Mike Mackenzie
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
George,

I think the material you are looking for is Spectrum Lights.

The company is Spectrum Marking Materials 1-860-533-9533

This is very similar to the laser foil but it is slightly thicker and can be engraved to get black images.

George Elston
10-18-2007, 7:23 PM
George

James Rambo has given the correct info. It is available in sheets as well as roll. Check the Johnson Plastics book or other Rowmark distributors.

Yep. Found it in the Laserbits catalog. laserLIGHTS "A thin sheet of base color with a microsurface of top color applied." Not identified well on the Epilog site, but that is the stuff. I'll add some to my next order.

Thanks all

Robert Murray
10-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Used black acyclic fill.. Like I said it worked and I could do it if needed
not my first choice but works in a bind I guess.

Figure i will be getting some of the laserlights as well.

R. A. Mitchell
06-04-2008, 1:58 PM
To anyone who has used the LaserLights product - is it more forgiving of rough surfaces than the laser foil? I would like to raster a piece of wood and then vector the foil to inlay it into the rastered area so the edges don't show. However, the rough texture of the rastered wood makes the foil look uneven, and I am concerned about how well it will adhere to the rastered surface.

How has it worked for you? Use it on materials other than wood?

Brian Robison
06-04-2008, 3:12 PM
I use Spectrum lites quite a bit.

Brian Robison
06-04-2008, 3:16 PM
Well I guess I couldn't add a picture that way.
The B and Radford cut, the B&J Racing is rastered and cut.

Craig Hogarth
06-04-2008, 3:50 PM
To anyone who has used the LaserLights product - is it more forgiving of rough surfaces than the laser foil? I would like to raster a piece of wood and then vector the foil to inlay it into the rastered area so the edges don't show. However, the rough texture of the rastered wood makes the foil look uneven, and I am concerned about how well it will adhere to the rastered surface.

How has it worked for you? Use it on materials other than wood?

I rarely vector cut foil. I find what works better is to put a thin contour around the text or image and raster the contour. You can feel that it's raised when you run your finger across it, but it gives the appearance of an inlay.

R. A. Mitchell
06-04-2008, 4:38 PM
Thanks - I suppose contours would be a way to work around the issue- basically making the depth work in your favor.