PDA

View Full Version : Triton routers as a dedicated table router?

Rick Cicciarelli
10-17-2007, 9:08 AM
Opinions from those who have used them? I see that Woodcraft offers the 3 1/4 horsepower Titon for only like $15 more than the 2 1/4 horsepower version, however the 2 1/4 horsepower version has that nice adjusting rod for above table micro-adjustments and I don't believe the 3 1/4 horsepower version has this option. I was looking at the Milwaukee 5625 but the nice table features on the Tritons are starting to make me reconsider. I was hoping for some opinions. Thanks

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
From the forums I've read, it seems to be extremes (loved or hated). I was looking into them but went another direction (5625 for my table).

However, I think you might also look at the New Freud FT3000vce, as it has the above the table crank and bit changing.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
If you pay the show price for the Triton ($190) it's a good deal.

I have one I use exclusively in a table and it's fine.

I don't have an enclosed table. That allows me to get under with my hand to operate the crank.
I find that operating the crank like a quill has some very good advantages such as when milling a slot on an angle. Only a plunging quill operation will accomplish that.

I also use the plunge for taking many small passes to get deep cuts in delicate materials and setup where it'd be unacceptable to have bit deflection or the force of a full depth cut might knock off my the set up or harm fragile work. This plunging quill is especially handy in chair making cause there are many angled slots one must cut.

The Triton's depth stop is hideous. It it every bit as awful as what one might expect on a router one purchased at K Mart with Martha Stewart's name on it. The rotating multi position depth stop is a cheap cheesy plastic bit of trash. the steel depth setting metal rod is fixed in place by a pathetically undersized set screw that come loose from vibration. There is nothing about the depth stop that is of any worth at all.

The Collet on the triton is crude. It's hardened steel with one slot cut in it and a couple grooves to take the stress of flexing. I expect it to break along one of those stress relieving grooves. This is the most fundamentally crude collet format one can imagine. Worse, the thread is a coarse pitch and it literally grinds when it's assembled.

However, to Triton's credit the collet works and mine hasn't pitched a bit yet.

I frequently use end mills larger than one inch and have an El-Cheapo(TM) panel raising bit that is imbalanced. The Triton manages them with ease.

Cary Swoveland
10-17-2007, 1:33 PM
I've been satisfied with the big Triton in my router table. Above-the-table bit changes are fast, and I find I can make all bit height adjustments with the gross-adjustment knob alone. I added a third-party digital caliper that works well.

Having said this, I'm replacing the Triton with the Bench Dog ProLift and Jessem/Milwaukee router/external speed control. I just couldn't resist Amazon's recent 45% discount on both.

Cary

Rick Cicciarelli
10-17-2007, 2:09 PM
That Freud FT3000vce looks like an interesting option I should consider. Anyone have an experience with this router yet? Opinions?