PDA

View Full Version : Problem receiving emails sent from SMC

Dave Falkenstein
10-17-2007, 1:06 AM
Two people told me they sent me emails from SMC in the last couple of days. I did not receive them. So I sent myself an email from SMC several hours ago, and did not receive that one either. My email address is unchanged. Help!

ps - I just realized I am not receiving emails from SMC as instant email notification of postings to subscribed threads. Hmmm.

Steve Clardy
10-17-2007, 2:23 PM
Check your user settings Dave

Steve Clardy
10-17-2007, 2:25 PM
I sent you an email and it bounced back.

Dave Falkenstein
10-17-2007, 9:47 PM
Check your user settings Dave

Steve - I looked at the Options - Receive emails from other members is checked. I have no idea why your email to me bounced. The email address in my profile is valid and has been valid for years. Hmmm.

Steve Clardy
10-18-2007, 8:52 PM
Steve - I looked at the Options - Receive emails from other members is checked. I have no idea why your email to me bounced. The email address in my profile is valid and has been valid for years. Hmmm.

Strange. I don't know......

Jim Becker
10-18-2007, 9:11 PM
Steve, look at the header of the bounce to see "why" it bounced...

Steve Clardy
10-18-2007, 9:17 PM
The original message was received at Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:24:00 -0400
from northwindassociates.com [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<**********@*****.***>
(reason: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [70.169.135.36] blocked using bl.qwest.net)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
.... while talking to mx4.qwest.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [70.169.135.36] blocked using bl.qwest.net
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients

Edit. I removed his email address

Steve Clardy
10-18-2007, 9:35 PM
Dave. I sent you a email directly to you.

Let me know if you receive it.

Steve

Keith Outten
10-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Dave,

It appears that your ISP has a block on our mail server.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Dave,

It appears that your ISP has a block on our mail server.

Keith - Exactly what email address are the SMC emails coming from. I'll call Qwest and get it resolved, but I need the domain name in the email address. Thanks.

Keith Outten
10-21-2007, 2:10 PM
Dave,

Per the error message they are blocking the IP address of our mail server which is 70.169.135.36

Essentially this blocks any mail going from our server to any account on their email server, it isn't just blocking your account.
Tell you ISP that you can't receive email from 70,169.135.36

They probably have us blocked due to some kind of spam filter which is bogus because we don't send spam, it would have to be someone spoofing our domain or server IP address.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Keith - I have reported the problem to Qwest. Only time will tell if it gets resolved. Thanks.

Dave Falkenstein
11-17-2007, 6:05 PM
Keith - I sent you an email through SMC several days ago. Qwest sent me an email indicating SMC's mail server's (70.169.136.36) PTR (whatever that might be) needs to be changed. Did you receive my email? Does it make any sense to you? According to a recent email I received from Qwest, "all is clear on our side". I still cannot receive emails from SMC. It might be that I cannot send emails through SMC either, if you did not get my email. What's next??? Thanks.

ps - I asked another user that has qwest.net as his ISP to send me an email. I never got his email, and he never received an error email. It appears that any user that has qwest.net as the ISP would experience the same problem.

Keith Outten
11-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Dave,

I have asked Aaron to look into this for you, he will most likely have to request a change by our bandwidth provider.

Darren Ford
11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Keith & Aaron,

I checked and you are listed on the five-ten-sq blacklist. No idea why of course. Also, you have no SPF record. I didn't see the issue Qwest is having with your reverse dns entry, unless they expect it to actually match your domain. Usually just having one is sufficient (which you have, its just listed as cox).

Mike Dauphinee
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
You might let Aaron know that your DNS (mx) points to 70.169.136.35 and not 70.169.136.36. Any mail server doing a reverse lookup may deny it without the 36 entry. Something else to consider.

MX>>(PRI=10) mail.Sawmillcreek.org [70.169.135.35]

Thomas Hempleman
11-19-2007, 3:59 PM
I'm having the same problem receiving SMC email. I'm subscribed to the Laser forum but haven't received any emails since mid September. When I called AT&T/Yahoo, my ISP, they said they weren't blocking anything and the problem must be at the SMC end. I checked my settings on the SMC User CP and everything looks OK.

What's happening?

Dave Falkenstein
11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm having the same problem receiving SMC email. I'm subscribed to the Laser forum but haven't received any emails since mid September. When I called AT&T/Yahoo, my ISP, they said they weren't blocking anything and the problem must be at the SMC end. I checked my settings on the SMC User CP and everything looks OK.

What's happening?

Thomas - Interesting that the problem is not only with qwest.net users. I hope the folks at SMC will find some time to resolve this pesky problem soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2007, 10:21 AM
It's interesting. I am getting emails via SMC.

Bobby McCarley
11-21-2007, 1:23 PM
I wonder if I could bother someone to send me a PM and e-mail to see if I am getting them. I sent a PM to the person whose name I was matched up with for the ornament exchange but as of today I still have not heard back, so I'm not sure if he got it.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Dave Falkenstein
11-21-2007, 2:16 PM
I wonder if I could bother someone to send me a PM and e-mail to see if I am getting them. I sent a PM to the person whose name I was matched up with for the ornament exchange but as of today I still have not heard back, so I'm not sure if he got it.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

I sent you a PM. I don't think I can successfully send you an email, based on the problem I am experiencing (but I tried anyway).

Bobby McCarley
11-21-2007, 6:27 PM
Got them Dave, Thanks.

Bobby

Andy Hoyt
11-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Email sent Bobby

Bobby McCarley
11-22-2007, 7:00 AM
Andy, got your e-mail, thanks.
Dave, your e-mail bounced back.

Bobby

Dave Falkenstein
11-22-2007, 10:22 AM
...Dave, your e-mail bounced back.

Bobby

Bobby - I assume you tried to send me an email through SMC, and it bounced back to you - right??? If you still have the email with the error information, please email it to me outside of SMC to:

daviddubya (at) qwest.net

I'd like to check to see if the error condition is still the same as it has been. Thanks.

Scott Donley
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
The original message was received at Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:18:24 -0500

<daviddubya@qwest.net (daviddubya@qwest.net)>
(reason: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [70.169.135.36] blocked using bl.qwest.net)

... while talking to mx4.qwest.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [70.169.135.36] blocked using bl.qwest.net
<<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients

Dave Falkenstein
11-22-2007, 2:02 PM
Thanks Scott. That is the exact same error message I got on a couple of previous tests. Bottom line - I cannot receive emails sent from SMC. I forwarded the error message to qwest and await their reply.

Dave Falkenstein
11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Bobby - Thanks. I received your email, and the error message you sent me is the same as the one from Scott. Obviously, the problem remains unresolved.

Thomas Hempleman
11-24-2007, 3:19 AM
I sent a PM to Keith a few days ago regarding this problem. I haven't heard anything from him. Now I'm wondering if my PM ever got to Keith. It didn't bounce back. It may be going to another planet for all I know. AT&T/Yahoo (my ISP) still claims there are no blocks or problems at their end and say it must be a problem at SMC. I'm still not getting email notifications to the SMC forum I'm subscribed to. In fact I have had no email or PM's from SMC since September. Anyone know what's going on?

Thomas Hempleman
11-24-2007, 3:31 AM
Dave F.
I sent you a test message through both SMC's email system and the PM system. Let me know through this forum if you receive either one of them. I think I may be shooting blanks from this end.

Dave Falkenstein
11-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Dave F.
I sent you a test message through both SMC's email system and the PM system. Let me know through this forum if you receive either one of them. I think I may be shooting blanks from this end.

Tom - I got your PM. I did NOT get an email from you. It sounds like you have the same email issue that I have - I cannot receive any emails from SMC. Therefore when I send an SMC email to someone that cannot receive SMC emails, I do not get the error message back that says the email failed. Sort of a black hole. I'm convinced the issue is with SMC. Try asking someone that can send and receive SMC emails to try sending you one. That person will get an error email, like the one Scott Donley posted, above. I have gotten a report of the exact same error condition from at least three senders. You can compare your error condition to mine and report that to Keith or Aaron. Perhaps many voices singing the same song will help to get it resolved.

Steve Clardy
11-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Dave F.

Test email sent

Steve Clardy
11-24-2007, 11:00 AM
The original message was received at Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:58:24 -0500

<tlhemplemanXXXX@att.net (tlhemplemanXXXX@att.net)>
(reason: 550-70.169.135.36 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net)

.... while talking to aln-mailrelay.att.net.:
<<< 450 busy - please try later
.... while talking to scc-mailrelay.att.net.:
>>> MAIL From:<XXXXXX@socket.net (s@socket.net)> SIZE=1288
<<< 550-70.169.135.36 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net
<<< 550 Blocked for abuse. See http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html (http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html)"

Dave Falkenstein
11-24-2007, 5:16 PM
Thanks Steve. It appears that Tom's email is being "Blocked for abuse", and is not the same error I am getting.

Tom - you should be able to get yours fixed by talking to your ISP. Follow the link in the error message. I don't think yours is a problem at the SMC end.

Mike Dauphinee
11-26-2007, 4:18 PM
It looks like they may have found their way into at least one RBL list. Usually for open relaying (spam technique), but not always. The SMC admins will have to get it off by doing some follow up. The DNS is also a possible issue.

Thomas Hempleman
11-26-2007, 5:24 PM
Thanks, folks. PM's are working OK. Incoming emails from SMC are definitely not working. Outgoing emails to other SMC users may or may not be working. Guess it's time to start rattling cages at AT&T/Yahoo again. Don't you just love "HI TECH"???? :mad:

Dave Falkenstein
11-27-2007, 3:30 PM
Qwest called me today. They removed northwindassociates.com from one of their Black Lists. Lo and behold - I ran a test and I can finally receive emails from SMC. Wonders will never cease.

I started this thread on 10/16. Today is 11/27. It only took 6 weeks for a resolution. Ain't technology wonderful!!!

I guess the only remaining issue is how northwindassociates.com, and therefore SMC, got onto a Black List at Qwest in the first place. I'll leave that to the wizards at SMC to ponder.

Roy Hatch
11-27-2007, 3:42 PM
After reading the posts in this thread, I called Mediacom and they suggested that I email "abuse@mediacom.com" to request that the block be cancelled.

Now I get emails when I have elected to follow a thread. Success!

Thanks for the suggestion as to how to resolve this.

Roy

Dave Falkenstein
11-27-2007, 4:31 PM
This thread has uncovered at least three ISP's that had SMC emails blocked - Qwest, ATT/Yahoo and Mediacom. I hope SMC's tech folks are listening.

Thomas Hempleman
11-28-2007, 12:23 PM
:D Yea!!! Email from SMC is working again. Thanks to everyone who pulled the right strings to get this resolved. If a problem takes more than a sledge hammer, duct tape or WD40 to solve, I'm lost.