PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw storage

Don C Peterson
10-16-2007, 8:53 PM
Anyone out there have any really cool ideas for storing hand saws? I have a growing collection of old Disstons (#12, #23, and several back saws, including a LN dovetail so I need to be able to accomodate various sizes) and I want to keep them handy and keep them safe.

Rick Frye
10-16-2007, 9:19 PM
I did a Google on "hand saw till". Will post photos of the unit I built later.

jonathan snyder
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Don,

I bumped into this (http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html) one the other day. I though it worth bookmarking. Unfortunately I just spent 15 min trying to remember where I saw it. I'm going to build this, When I finish my bench!

Jonathan

Don C Peterson
10-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Rick,

Thanks, I couldn't remember what they were called so my searches weren't very useful... Pics would be great.

Jonathan,

That's exactly what I wanted. I suspect that I'll wind up making something very similar that that one.

Thanks a bunch.

Bill Houghton
10-16-2007, 11:37 PM
there was a recent discussion in another place (that protocols of this forum forbid me from mentioning in detail - teasing!) of the saw till to which Jonathan Snyder offered the link, in which it was pointed out that the dovetails between the sides and the top crosspiece are in long grain rather than at the end of the board, and thus likely to break.

It's otherwise a really pretty design.

Don C Peterson
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah,

I saw that and thought that the upper dovetails are superfluous and quite possibly counterproductive. But the general idea seems pretty good.

harry strasil
10-17-2007, 1:57 AM
I am surprised that no one has thought of their kitchen cabinets as a possible alternative for Saw Storage.

LOL, got you wondering now!

What is the usually most unused most inaccable space in a kitchen or a small shop for that matter?

A corner of course, so why not use a corner and put a "lazy susan" such as is used in kitchens in a corner of your small shop with the saws upright like an ordinary Saw Till.

Just how many saws can you place around a Circular Saw Till of approxiametly 18 inches or so in diameter.

Easy access, just turn to the saw you need.

Use a normally useless area.

And possibley another one underneath for planes or other tools.

Just a Wild Idea is all I guess.

Steve Thomas
10-17-2007, 2:23 AM
Don,

I bumped into this (http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html) one the other day. I though it worth bookmarking. Unfortunately I just spent 15 min trying to remember where I saw it. I'm going to build this, When I finish my bench!

Jonathan

I built a version of this... it's great and would make good joinery practice if you had the time. I nailed my together.

Good Luck

Don C Peterson
10-17-2007, 2:29 PM
I am surprised that no one has thought of their kitchen cabinets as a possible alternative for Saw Storage.

LOL, got you wondering now!

What is the usually most unused most inaccable space in a kitchen or a small shop for that matter?

A corner of course, so why not use a corner and put a "lazy susan" such as is used in kitchens in a corner of your small shop with the saws upright like an ordinary Saw Till.

Just how many saws can you place around a Circular Saw Till of approxiametly 18 inches or so in diameter.

Easy access, just turn to the saw you need.

Use a normally useless area.

And possibley another one underneath for planes or other tools.

Just a Wild Idea is all I guess.

Interesting idea Jr.

I suppose I could build a small cabinet with castors then put the lazy susan saw till on top. If I made the cabinet big enough to hold my chisels and planes that would be pretty handy...

David Turner
10-17-2007, 4:04 PM
Do a search on the name Dave Anderson and up should pop a thread(s) with color pictures of the saw till he made.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Ken Martin
10-17-2007, 8:09 PM
In addition to the sawtill listed above Pop Woodworking has plans for one at:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projectplans_display/?planid=11144

I didn't have room in my garage for a till so for storage I built a rack to go behind the door in my model railroad room(another slippery slope). I used dowels to hold the saws three deep and short panels saws on a wider board on the left. They are nicely hidden when the door is open.

Ken Martin

Jim Dunn
10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
In addition to the sawtill listed above Pop Woodworking has plans for one at:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projectplans_display/?planid=11144

I didn't have room in my garage for a till so for storage I built a rack to go behind the door in my model railroad room(another slippery slope). I used dowels to hold the saws three deep and short panels saws on a wider board on the left. They are nicely hidden when the door is open.

Ken Martin

So that's where all the saw went:mad: No wonder I can't buy a good one any more, Ken's got em all!!:p:D

Bill Houghton
10-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I have my saws on dowels, too - hanging from the joists in my shop, which, since the ceiling is 10 feet high, works as far as their not being in my way, but is horrible as far as getting to them.

Anyhow, since I live in earthquake country, their location over my head while I'm at the bench inspired me to cut big rubber bands from an old truck tire inner tube, staple one end to the joist just above the dowel, and loop the other over the dowel. At six saws per dowel, the rubber band is just stretched enough to hold well, and, if there's an earthquake, I won't wind up cut to pieces by my saws.

The lumber stored above the bench, now, that's another matter, but at least I'm trying.

Dan Klauder
10-18-2007, 1:21 AM
Don,

Here’s a picture of my till FWIW. I didn’t have any design criteria other than a vague idea that the shape of the till should somehow be related to the shape of the saws. And yeah, I use cross-grained dovetails…don’t know what I was thinking. They apparently are not too weak for this job, but they sure do open up in winter when the humidity drops. I’d do that part differently if I had to make it again.

Dan (hoping I can figure out how to attach a picture)

rick fulton
10-18-2007, 8:03 AM
Dan,

That is a most impressive till. The way the shape closely mimics the standard saw handle design is a nice touch.

One question though; Are there guides for the blades? Or can you load up the till with wall-to-wall / handle-beside-handle saws?

rick

Don C Peterson
10-18-2007, 2:08 PM
Dan,

That is almost exactly what I am thinking of doing. I like the look and I like the wall cleat too.

Thanks.

Dan Klauder
10-18-2007, 8:57 PM
Are there guides for the blades? Or can you load up the till with wall-to-wall / handle-beside-handle saws?

Hey Rick,

There are guides for the blades - kerfs cut into a small rail that crosses the back approximately half-way up. I wanted to have room to get fingers in next to the handles, so I spaced the kerfs about 1 1/2" apart.

But, after reading your question, I got curious, and tested it without putting the saws in the kerfs. It still works. The saws sway slightly, but not much, and you could pack them in if you wanted to. Thanks for the idea!

Dan

Kevin French
10-21-2007, 9:59 AM
Don here's another thread on saw tills. Mine is a little ways down the page.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28205&highlight=Tills

Lance Granum
01-22-2012, 6:38 PM
a quick google search for saw till will yield you a large selection of great ideas for this need i have the same need and thats how i found your thread

Jim Matthews
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm with Henry - a repurposed dresser with 40" wide drawers holds my handsaws and wood body molding planes.
I keep my saws in the bottom, biggest drawer. The benefit is that I can't drop them.

The risk is that my basement may someday flood. I want to make furniture, not shop fixtures.

jim
wpt, ma