PDA

View Full Version : Finally 1st Bowl!!

Jim Kountz
10-16-2007, 8:29 PM
Well this is my first successful attempt at a bowl. Its not perfect but Im happy with it. It can only get better from here right!!?? Now I just gotta figure out how to get the tenon off the bottom. Ive read several methods for doing this but Id like to hear some of your favorites. Size is about 5" x 2.25" I welcome all critiques and opinions.

Bonnie Campbell
10-16-2007, 9:19 PM
I'd put the lip of the bowl in a jumbo chuck to turn it off. But then I'm usually just guessing lol

By the way, the bowl really looks good :)

Toney Robertson
10-16-2007, 9:19 PM
Looks nice - I like it.

I have not done a bowl yet - too chicken I guess. One of these days I will jump in.

Us newbie need to stick together but it look like you are way ahead of me.

Toney

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Jim........Very nice first bowl! Do a search on "donut chuck" here and look at the photos....Bernie made a nice one......I made a functional one.

Basically...take a jig saw and cut a circle out of wood (I used scrap plywood) to the max throw of your lathe. Mount it to the faceplate of your lathe and turn it round. Then cut another one. Mount it to the first and turn the new one round to match the first. Then place some wood between the two circles and turn a round hole in the 2nd one. The hole should be slightly smaller than the width of your bowl. Then using some long bolts, screws and wing nuts or T-nuts, capture your bowl between the first circle and the donut.......You can pad both to prevent scarring your bowl. The tenon from your bowl projects through the hole in the donut. Turn the tenon off..

Do a search and you'll SEE what I'm trying to describe...

Good luck!

Mike Peace
10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Take a face plate and mount it to a plywood disk that is larger than the bowl. Glue a piece of foam rubber, old mouse pad or something like it on to the face of the disk. Put the face of the bowl against the padded disk and bring up the tail stock live center to hold the bowl in place. Cut down the tendon leaving only a smaill piece being held by the tailstock. Slow speed and light cuts. Turn the tendon down so it is small where it is still fastened to the bowl. Take off the bowl and break off the tendon and power sand off the small rough area where the tendon broke off.

Or, pay a lot of money for a vacuum chuck. I am not ready for that expense yet, myself.

Wayne Boian
10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Good looking bowl!!
I like it.

What type of wood did you use?

Wayne

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Great looking bowl Jim. Do a search and find a donut chuck. I have several different sizes from small bowls to big bowls. They work great.

Jim Kountz
10-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys, that donut thingy looks like the way to go. Simple yet very effective. I really appreciate the help!...........Again.......!

Jon Lanier
10-17-2007, 1:36 AM
Jim, I think your doing pretty good. I like that idea with the chuck. I'm a learning too.

Jim Kountz
10-17-2007, 3:48 PM
Good looking bowl!!
I like it.

What type of wood did you use?

Wayne

Hey Wayne, its just some maple I had laying around, three layers about 13/16" thick at first. Its about 2-1/4" high now.