PDA

View Full Version : Reversing head how many use this?

Les Kuesel
10-16-2007, 5:29 PM
I have a lathe that has a reversing head. (never use it but I'm still new to turning) I know some people use this feature while sanding bowls and it sounds like it does a great job. Would power sanding do better job or do you reverse power sand? Is it worth reversing on smaller items like bottle stoppers or ornaments? Some people reverse sand every other grit. I always start with 80-100 grit and work my way to 500. Come on people whats your best way to get you wood ohhhh sooo smooth before you finish it?

Jason Clark2
10-16-2007, 5:45 PM
I will switch the rotation to clockwise for a couple of reasons, one of which is sanding. I will also switch the rotation when doing the inside of a box with a spindle gouge so I don't have to lean all the way over the lathe when trying to get a nice sharp corner in the bottom. I can go flat across the bottom and flat down the inside without putting my body in an awkward position or having to go stand behind the lathe.

Jason

Les Kuesel
10-18-2007, 4:42 PM
I'm guessing this feature must not be use to much??

Paul Engle
10-18-2007, 4:55 PM
Les , I have a friction clutch disc from a worn out orbital sander mounted on a stick if I lead the disc from the right it spins clockwise , if I lead from the left it spins the other way, (so no need to reverse the lathe as mine does not reverse anyway) it sand this way up to 320 and polish with brown paper bag and it gets very smooth.I have yet to find anyone who can tell the diff between this and say 1000 grt after the finish is on.And I usully sand at 1000 to 1400 rpm unless there are a lot of void , etc then I go up to 1750.

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2007, 5:10 PM
Use it for power sanding all the time. Make sure if you do your chuck has a set screw to hold the chuck on the spindle or it may go flying as it comes unscrewed. Reversing does a great job either hand sanding or power sanding.

Kevin McPeek
10-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I use reverse quite a bit. A lot for sanding and fairly often for hollowing. That way you can look at what you are doing. I have used it on a platter that I had to rotate the head outboard a bit and didn't have the outboard turning attachment yet but I could turn in reverse with the factory tool rest. I don't think it's a must have, but then neither is a chuck, but we all get those too.

Bob Hallowell
10-19-2007, 8:01 AM
I built it in on my lathe. I have used it sparsly for sanding but will be trying it for hollowing in the future.

Bob

Allen Neighbors
10-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I use reverse for sanding everyother grit. I also make some difficult cuts with the lathe in reverse, and they are always 'very' light cuts, because my chuck doesn't lock on (I've never had it come loose). When I attach the Chuck, I use the wrench (a heavy spud wrench with the point filed off) and 'bump' the wrench with the heel of my hand to tighten it.