PDA

View Full Version : engrave shotgun stock oval

George Elston
10-16-2007, 4:06 PM
Visited a rather upscale sporting goods store today and got a lot of interest. One of the things they asked me about was engraving initials on the oval of a shotgun stock. This is the small metal button on the bottom side of the stock. I explained that since it was chromed brass, I would most likely have to do it with cermark, and showed them a sample, which they liked. Now the kicker, this is a VERY upscale shop, most expensive shotgun $350,000 and they go all the way down to 3-5k. Does anyone have any experience with marking these ovals? Before I attempt one of these I want to make sure I have all the information I can get. Replacing the stock on even one of the cheaper models, would not be something I want to do.

Thanks

James Stokes
10-16-2007, 4:09 PM
If it is crome I would pass on it.

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2007, 4:11 PM
I'd also be very careful with chrome. There are many posts on here including several by the Cermark rep who says that chrome is an "if" situation. Depending on where and who chromed it as to whether or not Cermark will stick.

Be careful, you could be setting yourself up for a nasty experience.

David Epperson
10-16-2007, 6:54 PM
I would propose that you only offer to engrave a replacement oval - let the gunsmith worry about the actual installation/removal and distance yourself from that liability. And I would also advise that you state that you would prefer to engrave a different material - this is a valid option. Alternate materials could include corian or ebony or other non metallic..or at least non chrome finishes.

Mike Null
10-16-2007, 9:11 PM
I do not think this is a job for the laser. I'd be more inclined to use a diamond drag or rotary engraver.

Bill Cunningham
10-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm surprised that a medallion(?) of any kind on a firearm that expensive would be 'chromed' anything? I'm thinking pewter or stainless steel... If their chromed 'something' ask them for a test sample.. Rotary would cut through the chrome (mabe chip it) and exposed the brass(?) below.. Diamond drag would do the same.. both can damage the chrome.. Chrome??? Uhg...

Mike Null
10-17-2007, 4:40 AM
Bill

If it is a good quality plating job it is unlikely to flake with rotary though diamond drag might be too much of a test.

I guess I'd be surprised if the base metal is really brass. I'm inclined to think it's steel that has been nickel plated or perhaps polished stainless.

Bill Cunningham
10-17-2007, 8:33 PM
Bill

If it is a good quality plating job it is unlikely to flake with rotary though diamond drag might be too much of a test.

I guess I'd be surprised if the base metal is really brass. I'm inclined to think it's steel that has been nickel plated or perhaps polished stainless.

Good chrome might not flake, but you would still see the brass in the engraving.. I'm inclined to agree with you, Nickel plated steel, or stainless would be more likely..
Cermark should work with either of those..